FlyFishingInNH.com Forum

FlyFishingInNH.com Forum (http://flyfishinginnh.com/vforum/index.php)
-   Conservation Issues (http://flyfishinginnh.com/vforum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Salters (http://flyfishinginnh.com/vforum/showthread.php?t=10363)

jfflyfisher 03-14-2016 12:28 PM

Salters

Here I go again...

As some of you may know I've got an unnatural love with the idea of salters...big silvery brookies cruising coastal streams...wonderful.

I'm working on some independent research for the sea-run brook trout coalition and looking for some help from anyone/everyone. I'm trying to gather information on where salters are and where they have been. With this I hope to eventually develop a management or restoration plan of some kind. I know there are brook trout in some coastal streams in NH (i've witnessed 1 stream) but how many others are there? How many were there?

While I fully believe the statement "If we don't name it, we can't save it" the open internet might not be best yet so please PM me any suggestions unless you know the fish are extirpated.

I appreciate anything anyone can offer me. Together, one day we can bring this iconic species back into NH!

TGIF 03-14-2016 01:22 PM

Please make sure you pm me their location and preferred tides and flies. ��

CJSNH 03-14-2016 08:10 PM

The Exeter River dam in downtown Exeter will be coming down - not sure when - I would think that this river has real potential as it will result in miles of brackish / fresh water.

jfflyfisher 03-14-2016 08:12 PM

That's a huge hope for us. The squamscott is where ive been wanting to focus the search. Seems like some of the more likely water.

Any idea if the exeter/squamscott historically had any? I suspect yes but that's not based off of evidence.

CJSNH 03-15-2016 08:00 AM

I have lived in the Exeter area for 60 years and have never seen or heard any reports or rumors about salters . I can tell you that when we used to fish the river for smelt -before that fishery collapsed - we would hear about trout being caught. We always thought they were fish from the stocking above the dam -but they were surviving so who knows.

jfflyfisher 03-15-2016 08:04 AM

It's too bad about the smelt crash...they're wondeful food for trout and other fish. I've never had them myself but I'm sure they're good. I don't know if it was proven but i was told when the juvenile herring enter the trout streams, brook trout feasting on them were shown to grow almost an inch in month. Imagine how big they'd get in a year with a strong herring run, then a strong eel run, then a strong smelt run...

flyfish_tfo 03-15-2016 11:24 AM

Berry's Brook used to have salters until the state started the sea run brown program, also a few other coastal streams like Little River in North Hampton used to have a salter population as well.

jfflyfisher 03-15-2016 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyfish_tfo (Post 83784)
Berry's Brook used to have salters until the state started the sea run brown program, also a few other coastal streams like Little River in North Hampton used to have a salter population as well.

Good to know. Thank you very much. I've been meaning to check out berrys brook more. I've only been in the area immediately around bracket rd. I spent an hour at low tide once casting size 22 midges to mummichogs haha

jfflyfisher 03-15-2016 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyfish_tfo (Post 83784)

Good to know. Thank you very much. I've been meaning to check out berrys brook more. I've only been in the area immediately around bracket rd. I spent an hour at low tide once casting size 22 midges to mummichogs haha

flyfish_tfo 03-15-2016 06:10 PM

That was way back, though. I doubt many, if any are still around.