December 18, 2018

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 03-26-2016, 10:44 PM

Default Fly Fishing Magazines

No doubt it's been covered before, but I'm looking for insight on the best freshwater fly-fishing magazines out there. I already frequent many of the internet blogs and video sites, I'm after publications you can hold in your hand.

So far, courtesy of my neighbor and fishing partner, I've had access to Fly Fisherman, TU's Trout, Eastern Fly Fishing (I used to subscribe but found it to be too much of a travelogue), and Gray's Sporting Journal (Fly Fishing Edition). I also once subscribed to American Angler, but its fly-fishing content was weak.

What, if any, are your favorites??
Old 03-27-2016, 06:51 AM

Default Dropped them all

I used to to subscribe to the big three fly fishing magazines. They have turned into travel and gear mags. No original how to pieces. How many us of go to Patagonia and who really cares that he wind blows there? There is much more interesting pertinent stuff on the web.

Last edited by bridgeman; 03-27-2016 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:12 PM

I certainly agree, the magazines are pretty slim these days, and the availability of youtube videos and how-to blogs makes them kind of moot. But I don't spend all my time at my desk and I don't own a smart phone, so there is still a place for a good one. Looks like I'm out of luck, though. The generic sportsman's magazines are better-funded and distributed, but their focus seems to be hunting for the most part.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:45 PM

You maybe well advanced in skill and knowledge. Still, perhaps a more advantageous manner of spending your 'off screen' time would be to secure some good books on the subject. That way you build a library while learning. Maybe not as easy as a mag to stuff in your pocket, but value may be greater. Just sayin'. Maybe you've heard of thriftbooks.com. Lots of good volumes there.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:55 PM

I've also been buying books, many by Dave Hughes, whose writing style I admire. Most recently it was "Reading the Water," and "Trout from Small Streams" will probably be next.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:12 PM

Default best fishing magazine

check out fly fishing &tying journal by frank amoto books .com
Old 03-28-2016, 07:11 PM

Default I agree

I'm currently reading Strip-set by George Daniel for the second time since I received it at Christmas. A great book about streamer fishing for large trout. There are 450 photos that could be a separate book in this one to go with the informative text. Books are another form of the written word but are only distant relation to magazines.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:43 AM

Another good book on this subject is Bob Linsenman and Kelly Galloup's "Modern Streamers for Trophy trout." Along with recipes, there is a lot about tactics.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:01 PM

In a slightly broader vein, Tom Fuller wrote Underwater Flies for Trout, which I've read a couple of times.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:52 PM

I subscribe to: Fly Tyer, American Angler, Fly Rod & Reel, Grey's Sporting Journal, Fly Fisherman, and Fly Fishing & Fly Tying. I also recommend anything by the late great Shane Stalcup. These magazines provide a pleasant surprise when they arrive in my my mailbox.