December 18, 2018

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Gear Discussion

Old 06-20-2016, 07:12 AM

Default Nymphing rods

I am going to be looking to get a 10 ft (or longer?) rod to use for nymph fishing. I currently using a 9 ft rod. Is there
Much gained from the extra foot or maybe I should look into something longer. Hoping maybe Flyspoke has something in mind
Old 06-20-2016, 07:42 AM

Default Depends on Situation

For most of the waters we fish that are Merrymeeting or Sugar size and larger a nympying stick of 10' to 11' has many advantages. Today with some of the new high modulus materials for blanks it is possible to create rods down to true single hand 3 weights that are comfortable to fish all day and offer advantage.

The most important factors are the distance we can stand away and still drift a fly, easier line control in dead drift mending, easier line control at a distance and the speed we can get our fly fishing again from a down stream position. Two hand casting techniques can be used with great efficiency.

I have been building these rods using softer action blanks. This feature lets us use lighter tippet material because the rod acts as a shock resister. In the last month I have also built a number of 10'4" rods in 6 weights that will be headed to Pulaski to nymph steelhead in November.

Today there are many rod blanks available for this purpose. In addition to what I offer through FlySpoke, companies like Sage and Thomas & Thomas also offer these blanks for me to build upon. This week end I spent a lot of time throwing my new Plunge 6'6" Fiberglass 3 weight. The other three weight I fished is my 11' High Stigk Nymphing Rod.

The key factor to nymphing, with any rod, is the line choice made. Your weight forward line is great for dry fly but not an efficient line when using indicators and weights. The choices have expanded and I have made available matching nymphing lines to the rods I build. I keep 3/4 weight and 5/6 weight in stock. Customizing the head length is determined by rod length.

Anyone who wants to talk it out can call me at 603-501-9511. I hope this info helps.
www.TheFlySpokeShop.com
Co-Founder Creative Fly Tiers Association
Member Merrimack Valley Trout Unlimited
Founding Member Souhegan Valley Fly Association
Old 06-20-2016, 08:34 AM

Default Rods

I have been using a 10' 4 wght allot as a all around rod when I think I am going to have to end up doing some nymphing, I also have used it effectively for throwing streamers and dries, was fishing the Farmington couple of weeks ago in low water on a sunny day , the longer rod made using long leaders easy and the soft nymph tip protected the tipet to 7X. Was fishing with a well known guide on her day off, she was a little horrified with my techniques but I was catching to many fish to discount it, I explained to her it was my Euro Dry system and that I would be patterning soon. I have a 11' 3 wght as well purchased in a emergency ( Broken rod and Broken Back Up Rod, been fishing allot this year gear is taking a beating). The 11' 3 weight is great for just nymping and Euro Dry but it wont't throw a bugger.
Can't have to many Rods!
Old 06-20-2016, 08:35 AM

I'll second the longer rod being advantageous for nymphing, so long as it's not front end heavy like some of the cheaper ones are.

I've got a 10' 3wt that I like for nymphing, but am working on an even lighter 12' 3/4 wt currently with nymphing in mind. I always fish very light reels so I usually oversize the reel on the longer rods to balance them out better, i.e. 5/6 or even 7/8 reel, plus the larger reel makes managing line quicker and easier.

The longer road does make things easier in many ways.

lowwall must be talking about not being able to throw big or weighted buggers on the 3wt... I don't have any problem fishing a #10 with small dropper fly. Do it quite often with the 10' 3wt when pond fishing... but I don't think I'd want to try one of my conehead #8's.

Last edited by Chris_NH; 06-20-2016 at 08:39 AM.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:47 AM

Default True Single of Switch

What is most important is to know if the blank used is single hand rated or switch rod rated. A 3 weight switch blank has a 5 weight single hand rating. This is because switch came down from longer two hand rated rods and the line makers dictated the grain weights to the rod makers.
www.TheFlySpokeShop.com
Co-Founder Creative Fly Tiers Association
Member Merrimack Valley Trout Unlimited
Founding Member Souhegan Valley Fly Association
Old 06-20-2016, 11:12 AM

I've been using a cabelas lsi 9'9" 5 wt for a few years now and love it,.. has a great bend to it and seems to protect light tippet well, I think that rod nymphs better than any of my 9' rods.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:38 AM

I don't nymph fish, but for wets and dries I have used 9.5', 10', and longer cane rods for years. Another advantage of the long rod is the better fight the fish is afforded. The longer the lever, the more force the fish can apply to the point past the fulcrum (the hand). A 13" smallmouth in fast water feels like an 18" fish when it is on a 10' rod.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:18 PM

My 10 footer is set up for Euro,(25 ft of 10# amnesia, a jan siman sighter, and level fluoro tippet/leader) but will throw EHC and buggers as well. It's about a #4 wt. Home made from a 4-pc blank from Roger on Ebay. I love it. Great while short line nymphing for keeping drag producing line off the water.

Tip: don't worry as much about overall weight, as balance. Get a large enough reel that the system balance well in your hand. It'll keep you from tiring prematurely.

Another advantage is bringing fish to the net. Once at the surface, the 10' lever can easily bring them to hand.

Length can be a disadvantage in overgrown areas with low head clearance.
Tightlines.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:21 PM

Thanks for the info guys! I am going to look into redington hydrogen rods. Looking at cabelas website it looks like they don't carry 10 or 11 ft rods in stock at the store. I was going to make the trip to cast one but if I plan on getting g the 11 ft rod it probably would t make sense to cast the 9 footer? Thoughts?
Old 06-27-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldendemon View Post
Thanks for the info guys! I am going to look into redington hydrogen rods. Looking at cabelas website it looks like they don't carry 10 or 11 ft rods in stock at the store. I was going to make the trip to cast one but if I plan on getting g the 11 ft rod it probably would t make sense to cast the 9 footer? Thoughts?
I have the 10'6 and the 9'9" in the cabelas lsi, if you wanted to meet up and fish you could test drive one. I doubt they will have one over at the store but they might.