November 13, 2018

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Saltwater Section

Old 03-19-2015, 01:21 PM

What the jesus do you mean my fish didnt count mister ?
They all count !

I don't target them as I don't get to the coast often .... but if I did in NH or southern Maine it would be next month.

Downeast Maine have a few secrets that would require a lot of bourbon and benjamins from you to get me talking.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:50 PM

Default Pictures?

Send those pictures. Make me a believer.
A 16" smallmouth or Striper is a much better fight than any trout. My favorite river fishing is the Androscoggin below Milan for Smallmouth. There is no better river fishing in the state in my opinion.
I love fishing for trout and landlock salmon are awesome fish on a fly rod. The stocking thing is going to change because it's bad for native trout and it's just too expensive. There will be a different approach. Strategies like delayed harvest, stocking ponds and stocking fingerlings for a stock and grow deal are only a matter of time. I even see a private fishing club situation were ponds or streams are stocked and you pay to fish over quality stocked fish. It is very common in other parts of the country. Look at Three Rivers and tell me that isn't a model for the future.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:09 PM

As much as I love smallmouth on the fly.... I'm pretty sure a 4lb sea run would fight better then any 16" smallie or a 20" one for that matter.

Those sea runs do fight pretty good.

I believe ya moose!
Old 03-19-2015, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid View Post
I think you're going to have to go south to Mass.
Or North to Maine. Basically, anywhere but NH.
"When a fish is caught on bait, I feel bad for it being so gullible, unable to resist - often gut-hooked. When a fish is caught on a lure, I sometimes feel it's been abused especially if there are barbed galvanized treble hooks or umbrella rigs involved. But when I catch a big, smart striper (or a native steelhead, or a double-digit bonefish, or a remote lagoon tarpon, or....) on a self-tied fly, I feel that neither of us have any shame when we look eye to eye." -Juro
Old 03-20-2015, 08:49 AM

Can anyone tell me why Mass. and Maine have sea run Brookies but not NH? I assume lack of proper habitat/management?
Old 03-20-2015, 09:03 AM

I bet there are some sea runs in Seabrook ....
Old 03-20-2015, 10:35 AM

Will they glow green?
Old 03-20-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfflyfisher View Post
Can anyone tell me why Mass. and Maine have sea run Brookies but not NH? I assume lack of proper habitat/management?
Most likely because Mass and Maine both have much more coastline than New Hampshire. Sea run trout require freshwater to spawn in but also return to in the winter because of the salinity levels of the ocean (or so I've heard...) But since the majority of the rivers that run into the ocean have dams at the head of the tide it makes it difficult for the fish to return, even with a fish ladder, and even the the water quality above the dam is usually in decline and more suitable for warm water fish rather than a nursery habitat for sea runs.

Management would also be a factor, too.

That's what it seems to me, I may be wrong though.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:46 PM

The problem with Berry's Brook is that the state is just dumping truckloads of catchable sized stocked fish into a tidal river and hoping for the best. Fry stocking might work if suitable spawning habitat exists. I have no idea if it does on Berry's.
While fishing for sea run brookies on cape cod, I have very rarely caught them in the marsh section of the river, likely due to lack of cover. The fish don't hang out there and feed. They move through it to gain access to either stream habitat or bay habitat. Right where Berry's starts to resemble where I catch trout down on the cape is where they close it to fishing.
Maine just stocks a river near tidewater, guys fish there, and every brown they catch they say "wow, I just caught a sea run brown."
Mass has sea run brookies because several rivers have been restored through much effort from TU volunteers. And when I say restored you guys are probably picturing habitat restoration, but equally (or in some cases more) important was convincing the state or landowners to stop forcing the native fish to compete with truckload after truckload of stocked fish.
Oh, and when guys catch a brook trout on one of these streams they say "wow, I just caught a sea run brookie", even though only a small portion of the population ever goes out to sea.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:16 PM

I've always thought the closed section of berry's looked nice...I would think fry would just get eaten. The only fish I've ever caught in berry was a blue fish. Anyone ever try parsons creek which I think is just south of berrys on rt 1? I fished it once and for some reason the way the water was flowing, the rocks....reminded me of a trout stream once past the salt smell.