December 15, 2018

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Gear Discussion

Old 12-02-2018, 07:56 PM

Default End of year gear maintenance

It's time to put it all away for the winter. What is your routine? I clean the rods, clean and lube the reels. I must admit I'm somewhat lazy when it comes to fly lines. I clean them, but usually leave them on reel, rather than letting the coils relax. What about boots and waders?
Old 12-08-2018, 09:12 AM

Default Keep on fishing!

My 5 weight stuff is in use year round. Iím going tomorrow.
20 years ago in the dark ages before large arbor reels fly lines needed to be stored off the reel to reduce setting curls do to the tight winding on conventional spools. I think large abor reels and better line coatings eliminates that chore. As long as the stuff is clean and dry it takes the six months in storage pretty well. I do clean the cork handles on the rods with a soft brush and mild dish soap periodically as needed. In the winter as time allows I clean and lubricate the reels.
The salt water stuff is thoroughly washed with soap and rinsed with warm water after every trip. That stuff is ready for storage after the last trip.
I do store my reels and spools off the rod in a case and the rods in tubes. You should also check the guides with particular attention to the tip top for grooves. Even a slightly grooved guide will eat a $90 fly line in a very short time.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:52 PM

Good point on the guides. I'll have to inspect them. How do you deal with grooves or rough areas on the guides?
Old 12-09-2018, 07:33 PM

Default Easy fix

I have had two tip tops develope grooves. These were not the highest quality rods in the arsenal. Most of those are sent back for free repairs. I bought a repair kit a few years ago for a trip to Alaska for $10. I heated the tip with a lighter and remove the old tip. Used the hot glue in the kit and put on the new one. 10 minutes if you take your time and donít overheat and keep it lined up.
I also used the kit to turn a 9í rod into a 8í6Ē rod after an unfortunate incident. Iím on my second year using that rod and I like it just as much as before. I use it in the winter. Winter fishing is brutal on rods and gear in general.
I fixed a few snake guides too but not from grooves. Thatís a more difficult fix an best done if your skilled in rodcraft and have the material you need.

FYI I have developed grooves in some of my old spinning rods. The older rods are not set up to handle the new braided fishing lines. I use these jigging for lakers and stacking downriggers. Nasty stuff but no stretch is valuable in certain situations.