June 22, 2018

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Gear Discussion

Old 03-05-2018, 05:29 PM

Default Best type of fly reel for beginner?

I'm new to fly fishing. I grew up trolling in a boat and shore fishing, but I would like to get into fly fishing. It's definitely different than what I'm used to, and I was doing some research on fly reels and was wondering what everyone's take is on the best type of reel to get started?
Old 03-06-2018, 07:54 AM

to get started, you can pick up any inexpensive rod/reel kit at cabala's, bass pro, etc. or at one of the shows. a friend got 7' 4wt rod and graphite reel at one of the shows for $40. inexpensive, casts fine, and will be perfect for him to pack (4 piece) up into the thin blue lines like he wants to do.

if you want to do more pond fishing, find a 5wt outfit. pflueger, orvis, cabala's all have inexpensive reels, and all are decent.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:32 PM

Default Orvis Videos

When I first got back into the sport a few years back I found these videos to be very useful. https://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/video-lessons
Old 03-07-2018, 09:51 AM

Default Fly Reel Advice Depends on Water You Fish !

It wasn't clear where you will be fishing and nice we have so many wonderful options freshwater and saltwater I might answer your question this way.

No to insult my friends or the freshwater fish of NH but in reality if you fish freshwater for the most part the reel is a place to store your line and the drag and finish is secondary...so feel free to buy any reel that supports your line size...4-5-6 etc....and fits your budget....LL Bean, Cabelas, Orvis....etc all have affordable and high quality reels...

If however you choose to enter the saltwater fishery then the ability of the reel to withstand the elements of salt water and spray and also can handle stripers and maybe even a false albacore tuna will require a more substantive drag...and will bump up your budget....sorry.....

Hope that helps !

Kent
Old 03-07-2018, 02:26 PM

Go on Craigs List and search for used reels. Buy as cheap as you can. For local trout/salmon the reel is pretty much just a place to hold line. Fancy drag and/or special metal body is of no value. Go to local shop with reel and have them load line Z& backing for you. You can then spend some time and BS with them regarding fly fishing
Old 03-07-2018, 07:31 PM

Totally agree with AKR28 for us in New England the reel is pretty much a line holder that balances the rod. I have gotten some really nice looking reels on E-Bay for short money. I have people say that is a nice looking reel - if they only knew how little I paid for it ! Check it out.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSNH View Post
Totally agree with AKR28 for us in New England the reel is pretty much a line holder that balances the rod. I have gotten some really nice looking reels on E-Bay for short money. I have people say that is a nice looking reel - if they only knew how little I paid for it ! Check it out.

Agree but there are some exceptions - Fishing for big browns on the Deerfield or Hoosic in Western MA, Big brookies on the Rapid in ME, LLS on the Upper Connecticut in Pittsburg NH. At Junction a few years back I had a big LLS take me into my backing before throwing the hook, reel was screaming!