August 14, 2018

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Gear Discussion

Old 02-08-2011, 09:53 PM

I don't own a Ross or a Tibor reel , however I do have a Abel Super 4N Large arbor and I have to say it is one smooth sweet reel with a top notch drag. I have to admit I do not use my Abel half as much as I use my Orvis reels and my older Click and Pawl British made reels . I do like that the Able Super series can interchange Large arbor and standard arbor spools . When I purchased my Super 4 Large arbor , I did opt for the standard arbor extra spool . I put 4 weight on the Large arbor and 6 weight on the Standard arbor.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:25 AM

Default Bauer Rogue 2

Out of nowhere, a new frontrunner has emerged. Inspired by Lowwall, I took a deeper look into Bauer reels. Also, I've started to hone in a little more closely on what I'm looking for. In an immediate sense, I'm looking for a light weight reel for a 5wt. But what I'd really like is a solid 5/6wt. I currently don't have any decent reels at these weights. And while I certainly don't need a great drag or a lot of backing for fishing around here, at these prices, I'm gonna have the damn thing for a while. I'd like to have something I can bring out West, to NY/PA...whatever.

The Bauer Rogue, on paper, seems to meet this perfectly. The size 2 is a 5/6, will hold 100yrds 20# with a WF 6, and weighs a insane 4.3 oz. Its been hard to find many reviews of this reel...but the general thought is that the construction is near flawless on Bauer reels in general.

Any first had experience with this reel out there?

The reel: http://bauerflyreel.com/rogue.html

Closeup Pics: http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/large..._320955_999_01

-Brian
aka MagsDad
Old 02-12-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPG View Post
Any first had experience with this reel out there?

The reel: http://bauerflyreel.com/rogue.html

Closeup Pics: http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/large..._320955_999_01

-Brian
aka MagsDad
Not first-hand..no. But I've heard you need to be very careful with Bauers. They work great when dry; but if you accidentially get the drag wet they tend to slip like a mother. Second hand info only.....but I know Abels and Tibors don't slip when the drag gets wet. As always; take with the proverbial "grain of salt". I'd hate to have you spend that kind of $$ on a reel you think is great; and say "####!!" the first time you lose a really good fish becauswe the drag is mucked up.

Dave M
Old 02-12-2011, 09:00 AM

Brian--the Tibor 'Tailwater' fits those criteria to a tee.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to Solid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcg View Post
Brian--the Tibor 'Tailwater' fits those criteria to a tee.
I am an Abel freak, but also own a Tibor. I must agree with JMCG on this one - it is a perfect fit.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:11 AM

Brian came over to hang and tie a few flies, let Mags play with my wife and the dogs and while here, the inveterate tinkerer took my Tibor apart and found minute mineral deposits and some compromised lube after years of use-- and I don't baby stuff. Still operating smooth as silk on teflon.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:22 AM

Default tibor

gave one of my sons a back country tibor reel yrs ago.It has proven to last to heavy fishing (alaska).The only problem has been my sons,he think all reels should be placed in fine gravel along with a rainbow for a picture.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:28 AM

Brian, I've been fishing Bauer's since they first came on the scene. At presant I have M.5SL
that I use on my 3wt. and a M1SL for my 4 and 5 wts.. On the other end I have the M6SL's
for Salt. Those I fish 8 through 11wts. These reels have been fished from our coast to the
Vineyard to N.C. chasing bass, blues, bonito and albies. In all those years I've never had the drag slip when it's wet. I don't think it would be an issue on a 5/6 as you're not going
to get into anything like an "albie".
Old 02-15-2011, 11:38 AM

As best as I can figure from the information I've read online...

Bauer got a bit of a reputation early on for a few drag problems. These seem to have been related to the use of non-synthetic lubs on cork drag systems breaking down. The few bits I've read from people who have either switched to synthetic greases or have purchased their reels more recently...indicate that this is no longer a problem. But those early impressions persist.

Now, the Bauer Rogue uses a carbon fiber drag. I can't imagine them having this problem. However, there aren't a lot of reviews out there to tell me one way or another.

At this point...I really like the reel because it matches my parameters well, has a reputation of being really well made, looks sharp and has a wooden handle...and is a bit different. It also doesn't cost a ton more than the Ross.

Too bad it isn't available locally...or I'd go handle it. Trying to justify the gas expense to drive 1 3/4 hours to Taunton.

-Brian
aka MagsDad
Old 02-15-2011, 12:13 PM

I was loaned a Bauer McKenzie to fish for atlantic salmon in Newfoundland years ago...

I thought it was great..loved it actually...rugged and smooth...made in USA...a smaller company...and it had steelhead and Oregonian roots...and since i had lived in Oregon for a while ... I thought it was pretty neat.

By the time I had decided to purchase one, the Mckenzie had been upgraded to have all sorts of holes drilled it...the back plate was ported...The one I had borrowed was the original and had a solid back.

At the time I figgered I wanted a solid backed reel and the "newer" ported version looked to me like they had ruined a good reel and made places where sand and fingers and pebbles and all sorts of stuff could get inside it..... so I passed...