September 23, 2018

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 04-17-2018, 07:21 AM

Default Alton Bay Fish Dropping

I was up at Alton Bay the other day. I noticed several people fishing off the bridge. Some people would catch a fish, reel it in, and then to release the fish, they would simply drop it off the bridge! It was disturbing to see this catch-and-release practice but I didn't say anything. Has anyone approached this subject with fisherman?
I was thinking, trout and salmon have such a tough time surviving as it is. Even when releasing fish properly, they can have a tough time regaining strength!
Old 04-17-2018, 06:04 PM

Default Itís a circus

Itís a circus complete with clowns and animals. Lots of drinking including morning twisted teas, beers and smoking. Trash everywhere including bait containers and cigarette butts. The best trick is parking as close to river as possible so you can sit in your truck a watch your power bait rods from the comfort of your beater truck and the cooler.
I would not say too much to these guys because one thing they all have in common is they all have concealed pistols and are just waiting for opportunity to ventilate someone for some act of disrespect or perceived threat. Not exactly your classic New Hampshire fishing experience.
I canít wait for the bay to open up so I can get in my very expensive boat and leave these guys at the dock. Most of them donít work so boating isnít an option. Workers comp and welfare will keep you booze and butts but lake capable boats require cash or a credit rating above 200.
I give Ron the local warden a lot of credit for keeping the peace.
Hopefully this rain will bring a few fish into the FFO section were we can be with our own kind of Aholes. Thankfully we donít have quite as many.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:07 PM

All that may or may not be true, but I generally think that fish are more durable than we give them credit for. They get stocked off bridges and helicopters all the time.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:37 PM

How are people supposed to catch and release the fish? Expose them to air when they need water asap? A vertical drop head first is the best move. Better than them dying of suffocation.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGIF View Post
All that may or may not be true, but I generally think that fish are more durable than we give them credit for. They get stocked off bridges and helicopters all the time.
I agree. They'll be fine dropped off that bridge.

Worrying a bit less about what the other guy's doing is what tends to make better people better.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:48 AM

I think your stereotype of non fly fisherman is a bit harsh. I for one still use lures and bait every now and then. I don't have an expensive boat, don't smoke or drink while fishing...and have a credit rating above 200.....oh....I keep some trout and salmon every now and then.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:50 PM

For what it is worth, I regularly fish an invaded smb river where we are encouraged to discard of the bass. Rather than littering the bank, I usually bonk them on a rock and feed the crayfish. After some Gronk-like spikes, I am shocked at how many swim away.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGIF View Post
For what it is worth, I regularly fish an invaded smb river where we are encouraged to discard of the bass. Rather than littering the bank, I usually bonk them on a rock and feed the crayfish. After some Gronk-like spikes, I am shocked at how many swim away.

I must say, if you're killing fish without eating them you're missing the point. Smallmouth bass filets are quite tasty - not as tasty as walleye or crappie - but still great, especially in the cold water of Springtime.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Dan View Post
I must say, if you're killing fish without eating them you're missing the point. Smallmouth bass filets are quite tasty - not as tasty as walleye or crappie - but still great, especially in the cold water of Springtime.
X2 Very good in the winter when they have less worms. Lots of mercury though
Old 04-29-2018, 09:27 AM

Actually, the purpose of the liberal catch limit on one particular river is to erraticate to whatever extent possible. I have no interest in carrying around a shopping bag of 8” smallies, but the bios have asked that we do our part. I prefer to feed the equator eco system as opposed to the terrestrial one