July 22, 2018

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 04-24-2018, 09:17 AM

Default Land locked Salmon

Has anyone had any luck with Land locke salmon this month?
Old 04-24-2018, 01:01 PM

Anybody????? (Sound of crickets)
Old 04-24-2018, 04:37 PM

Havenít gone due to the ice isnít good for my kayak. Hope to go soon, but havenít heard any reports either
Old 04-24-2018, 05:30 PM

Default Stay home nothing to catch here!

No salmon to be caught. Stay were you are and do not bother coming to where I fish. I hear there are fish to be caught in Maine and Vermont. Log in to those fly fishing sites and ask the same question. Go see if the boat ramps parking lots there are full at 6:30 am.
For those who must, a little steam side decorum is in order. Every time I catch a fish I seem to be surrounded by folks that have to have the magical spot or see the miraculous fly first hand.
I ran across this the other day. http://www.orvis.com/news/fly-fishin...eam-etiquette/ . It’s a good start. If you ask nicely I will show you the fly and explain how presentation and steath are important.
I had a nice young man wade into the pool directly above me and very close to the holding spot of the fish I was targeting. After casting aggressively and completely puting down the pool i explained what happened. He told me that he would be more worried about it if they were wild fish. How can you argue with that. The wisdom of youth is overwhelming at times. I proceeded to the truck and made my way home. I’m sure he was on the pocket computer telling the world about the great fishing shortly after. He’s probably going to read this at some point. That’s what people do these days and that’s why I don’t share information on open forums.
I don’t want to discourage the youth from fly fishing. I’m happy to see so many young men and women out on the water. They are fun to watch and very enthusiastic. They don’t know how to dress to stay warm and just have to take a picture of everything with the computer to share with their friends. They miss strikes and wade where they should be fishing but who hasn’t done all those things. I just don’t want them frothing the water like a barista in the pool I’m fishing. That’s why “crickets” is the response.

Last edited by bridgeman; 04-24-2018 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:05 PM

Love your comments Bridgeman. Good natured and appropriate. Baristas indeed! Ha...
Old 04-26-2018, 11:38 AM

Smile

Great comments Bridgeman. My wife and I moved up north to the MWV area this past fall and spent the winter months researching potential waters using Google Maps, Delorme maps, NH fish and Game web site and scouting ponds on snowshoe. The we chatted with our neighbors at the dump, town hall, the DPW garage and local watering pub for the holes to stay away from. Finally back in the truck during mud season checking out waters and posted signs.
We have vacation next week and plan to start picking off the places one by one. You buy a few rounds and we might share the fruits of our labor.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgeman View Post
No salmon to be caught. Stay were you are and do not bother coming to where I fish. I hear there are fish to be caught in Maine and Vermont. Log in to those fly fishing sites and ask the same question. Go see if the boat ramps parking lots there are full at 6:30 am.
For those who must, a little steam side decorum is in order. Every time I catch a fish I seem to be surrounded by folks that have to have the magical spot or see the miraculous fly first hand.
I ran across this the other day. http://www.orvis.com/news/fly-fishin...eam-etiquette/ . Itís a good start. If you ask nicely I will show you the fly and explain how presentation and steath are important.
I had a nice young man wade into the pool directly above me and very close to the holding spot of the fish I was targeting. After casting aggressively and completely puting down the pool i explained what happened. He told me that he would be more worried about it if they were wild fish. How can you argue with that. The wisdom of youth is overwhelming at times. I proceeded to the truck and made my way home. Iím sure he was on the pocket computer telling the world about the great fishing shortly after. Heís probably going to read this at some point. Thatís what people do these days and thatís why I donít share information on open forums.
I donít want to discourage the youth from fly fishing. Iím happy to see so many young men and women out on the water. They are fun to watch and very enthusiastic. They donít know how to dress to stay warm and just have to take a picture of everything with the computer to share with their friends. They miss strikes and wade where they should be fishing but who hasnít done all those things. I just donít want them frothing the water like a barista in the pool Iím fishing. Thatís why ďcricketsĒ is the response.
This is why we spent some time on streamside etiquette during our two-day fly fishing course that I posted about in this section of the forum last week.