November 22, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > Conservation Section > Conservation Issues

Old 01-07-2013, 06:02 PM

I was in winslow when that article ran in the paper. It seems to me that maine is makeing great progress in improving fish habitat. In the kennebec the stripers run all the way to waterville and now the dam has been removed to the sebasticook so the bait fish are moving up stream there. I live close to the bellows falls fish ladder and was even a part of the crew to build it and have always felt it a failure plus it seems that the water levels change so dramatically that the water never clears up. I also remember on that fish ladder project that they couldn't keep a diving crew because they would encounter fish that were larger then them. This is also a streach of water that would run a differant color every day, haven't seen that since the early 80's. I also remember what used to pour out of scott paper and how you were more apt to catch a finless brown than anything else. yes we have come a long way... gotta long way to go too
Old 04-04-2013, 07:16 PM

I'm very excited to see the changes after Veazie comes out...right now, fish like shad, alewives, and blueback herring (while not as abundant as historic runs) are still there during the spring runs and will run at least to Milford Dam. I'm a bit concerned about the success of fish passage at Milford Dam (it's getting an upgrade, but success of the project for a variety of species will still depend on passage there). Regardless, it's a move forward in the right direction.

Also, total hydropower produced in the watershed will actually be increased through dams on the Stillwater River (a major channel of the Penobscot). The fish benefit, and clean power is not being negatively impacted either.

I electofished much of the lower river during the spring and fall for the last few years as part of collecting baseline fisheries information before the Penobscot River Restoration Project. Lots of smallmouth bass in there...a bass factory, really! If anyone likes to catch bass on the fly, you would be very happy there with large numbers of fish and some big ones, too! I'll be interested to see how that all turns out in the end, since they are a non-native species and have their own impacts on fish assemblages there (and may also benefit from the dams being in place).
Old 06-14-2013, 09:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to natefish

Yes that river is loaded with bass. When I was about twelve my family took a long road trip through Maine. We stopped at a highway pull off that ran along an oxbow of the Penobscott. My dad decided to take a few casts just to see if there were any fish around. He threw on his trusty jitter bug and it disappeared into a swirl on his first cast. A three and a half pound smallie, the biggest I'd aver seen at the time. On the next cast he hooked a bigger fish, It looked as though he'd hooked a beaver, his rod bent almost to the water. Then the lure sprung back. The metal cup of a mouth was completely closed and all of the hooks had been torn out of the lure, not sure how big that fish really was but I've never seen anything else like that in my life.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:36 AM

Default Impressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by natefish View Post
The metal cup of a mouth was completely closed and all of the hooks had been torn out of the lure, not sure how big that fish really was but I've never seen anything else like that in my life.
A simple 'Wow', will suffice here.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to Solid

Removal of Veazie Dam on Maine’s Penobscot River begins July 22, 2013.

WEBSITE