August 17, 2018

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Fly Tying

Old 05-23-2006, 08:32 PM

Default Bass Bugs

after tying trout flies for about 15 years, im getting into tying Bass Bugs......any good web sites out there you all could suggest?
Old 05-25-2006, 09:18 PM

http://www.ultimateflytying.com/BassFlies.htm
http://www.fedflyfishers.org/FlyOfMonth/dahlberg.htm
http://www.flyfield.com/hairbug.htm
http://www.hatchesmagazine.com/page/may2006/188

Also try finding a copy of Dick Stewart's book "Bass Flies"- I think Amazon carries it. Great book for tying the basic bass flies. He also has one called "Flies for Bass and Panfish". I have the first book, but not the second so can't help you out with a review on that. I did a quick Google search and not much comes up

I think you'll find that you will become an expert at spinning deerhair Dahlberg divers are great fun to tie and even more fun to fish. You get some really explosive takes when fishing them. And don't be shy with color, either.

Happy tying!
Old 05-26-2006, 05:34 AM

Hi
I always was looking for information on Bass Plugs, I'll be tying some up very soon. It is always fun to catch something on a fly you tie.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:51 AM

for spinning deer hair, try looking for stufff by chris helm

pete, i'll pm you tomorrow about fishing next week

good luck
mike
Old 05-26-2006, 08:05 AM

Send a message via AIM to Chappy
Default Try the Gurgler

Hi,

I have tied a lot of bass flies and recently have nearly abandoned deer hair bugs. Although, they are enjoyable (messy, time consuming, and sometime frustrating especially without proper grade hair and thread) to tie and to fish (I like the gerbubble sounds when stripped), it is a really inefficient fly. It requires a stiffer rod, stiffer butt, leader and tippets, and unless you have a current (like a river mouth) to get some drift distance, very difficult to cast when wet. Often, when I am fishing for bass, I usually will dead drift hellgramite, big buggers or black stoneflies as well, along with some meaty streamer patterns.

When I go to the surface, I don't want to have to switch leaders. This is where the gurgler comes in. When tied with synthetics, it sheds water and is very cheap and easy to tie, and can be tied in a bunch of colors. Most of all you can tie the gurgler right on your fly rod and fish without changing your setup - very practical and efficient.

Although you could possibly thread rubber legs through the foam body, its not that same a threading through a deer hair body.

If efficiency is your thing, then give the gurgler a shot. Also the gurgler is a good substitute for the Bomber for Atlantic Salmon for the same reasons. The Gurgler is a very good striper fly in Chartreuse and White, (but what isn't in these colors). We can thank Mr. Gartside for this pattern.

Enjoy tying some classic deer hair bugs. (Whitlock style) They are truly a work of art and take a fair amount of skill to tie, and more to fish.

Chappy

chris@chappysguide.com
http://www.chappysguide.com
Old 05-26-2006, 09:55 AM

thanks for the info fellas, i appreciate it.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to Solid

Late reply I know, But I found a picture of one of my favorite Bass flies ever!
I believe I got these flies from Tom @ Moutain Road Fly...awesome!

Old 10-09-2006, 08:02 AM
Banned

Pete . . . . don't go to the dark side.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fessiewig
Pete . . . . don't go to the dark side.
there's no chance of that happening. but the smallie fishing here in the UV is really good, that you gotta give it a shot once in a while.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:49 AM

On the bass of the bugs with the speakers and the woofer maybe have some interior error of the hardware mechanical issues? If bass are not coming with air from the baser the on best essay help website write your issues with bugs and send to woofer making company.