PDA

View Full Version : Orvis catalog free flies...

dodge_nyc
03-26-2007, 06:18 PM
I really like reading the fishing reports here but rarely post. Bugchucka catching a tuna last year should have won a Pulitzer or comparable award w/others a close 2nd.

Anyway, today I was about to trash the Orvis catalog that arrived in today's mail (lately I prefer Cabelas) but I noticed an offer for 12 free trout flies on the back outside cover. Granted you have to go to an Orvis retail store but I thought it sounded pretty good--I'm sure they've done some market testing--I definitely took a double take and plan on hitting a retail store by this weekend at the latest. I not a huge Orvis fan but neither do I dislike the stuff I have purchased from them.

Anyone redeem the offer? Did they let you pick any 12 of give some crap selection of woolly buggers?

Also anyone have pictures of favorite flies, flyboxes--I remember one from Flyfisherman magazine was posted but any favorite flies for rivers like the Saco/Ellis/Swift would be great for tying motivation.

lapoinm899
03-26-2007, 08:34 PM
hmm sounds interesting maybe ill head up there wednesday. Ill let you know.

6Weight
03-28-2007, 07:06 PM
Hi,
Am new to the list but not to flyfishing.

I was just at the Orvis Store in Manchester, VT. Nice building but that was it. I was not impressed with the selection of fly tying materials. I've seen larger selections in smaller shops. No one said anything about the free flies while we were there either. Oh well. I'll make the drive to the Kittery Trading Post any day.

We also visited the American Fly Fishing Museum located next to Orvis. It's small and only $5 but worth the look. I really enjoyed looking at the old fly patterns. I took some pictures and notes on those patterns I wanted to try.

Ice is finally breaking up here and my fever is really bad. Not an evening has passed that I have not been tying.

6Weight

lapoinm899
03-28-2007, 08:16 PM
agreed...I was up there today and there was no mention of free flys. And as 6wieght said the tying selection was quite limited, the hole in the wall shop in town had three times the amount of materials.

dodge_nyc
03-28-2007, 09:39 PM
could be specific to the catalog they mail to you...it is definitely not a "whoever shows up" gets 12 free flies.

I picked up 12--nice models for tying but I agree the in store tying stuff is not the best.

Just a heads up to those that get mailed the catalog look at the back cover before throwing it out.

Casey A. Wood
03-29-2007, 07:14 AM
I checked the back cover, nothing mentioned. It was the catalog with the trout on the front. I had another catalog (gone now) showing an older man about ready to buy a boy's string of fish. Anyone know which catalog it was?