PDA

View Full Version : Flies

newtonh
02-26-2008, 07:04 PM
Alright, now that I have ordered some hooks, I have been browsing fly selections and then some more because there are plenty to see. . . Are there any "must-haves" that you would suggest? I already plan on tying up a bunch of deceivers and clousers and the like, I assume anything resembling a bait fish is a good bet. I am not looking for you to reveal your go-to fly or your secret pattern, just trying to get a push in the right direction. Thanks for the help.

-Anthony

Salter
02-26-2008, 07:42 PM
Tie up some all black flys.Both deceivers and clousers.Also some halfn'halfs,One of my most consistant producers is a simple black h&h.Tie four black hackles in at the bend and put a little black bucktail on the sides to keep the hackle from wrapping around the hook.Then palmer two black hackles up hook to nickle(clouser) eyes.Tie off you're done.Caught lots of stripers on the flats and beaches with that simple fly.

lowwall
02-26-2008, 08:22 PM
Closuers and decievers, Wght\Chart, Olive and White, Wght \wght. From 3"-10"! I Fish Boston harbor 99% of the time, lots of bait fish.

s2ary
02-26-2008, 11:05 PM
Hey New,

Fresh or salt?

Either way I always tie my flies on salt water hooks. That way if they get wet they do not rust out as easily and you never know if you will use it in the salt.

Fresh water:
One of the first flies Id suggest is a Bunny booger. They are cake to tie and they catch everything. It is just clouser eyes and a rabbit strip. Tie the eyes on 1/3 third down the hook shank from the eye. Tie in the rabbit strip by impaling it on the hook and tying it fast at the start of the bend and the shank. Then just wrap the rabbit strip up the shank back towards and past the clouser eyes and tie it off. That fly will catch anything that swims including stripers.

Salt water:
Tie up a few Rays Flies in Olive tints and also in whites. They make good sand eels and silversides. If you can tie up a few 3/0-5/0 deceivers in white, you only need a few of these as you will only use them in certain situations.

These flies with the ones above will catch you fish through late summer, after that you want some small white deceivers to mimic peanuts.

newtonh
02-27-2008, 08:56 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I can't wait to get my hooks and tie some of these up.