PDA

View Full Version : Fly Tying Vise

fishcocheco
02-15-2009, 05:19 PM
I am new to the world of fly fishing and starting to get excited for the season by reading the good info on this forum. Last season I started to learn to cast some but not so successful at catching fish. Soon realized though that hanging out on the river with my golden with or without fish on was ok. A saying once told to me that I like is that it is about the going not the getting.

I have decided that this spring I would like to start tying my own flies and need a good vise to get started. Do any of you fly tying experts have advice on a certain brand and model. I would like to spend between 50-100 dollars and be able to use well into future as my technique improves.

Thanks for help.

Banks10
02-15-2009, 07:00 PM
I have been tying for about a year and a half and am still using a $25 el cheapo vise and I have no complaints. There are no shortage of brands and models out there and I'm sure many people will weight in. Just remember, if it holds the hook, then it's doing what it supposed to.

TGIF
02-15-2009, 09:45 PM
good advice from Banks... it's only supposed to hold a hook. Start small and grow into it. You can get some beginer sets and see if you really like it, and save the other $75 of your budget for an upgrade in a few years.

Or.... for slightly more than $100, I have had great luck with my HMH vice, that I won last year in the FFNH Raffle. It was donated by Stone River Outfitters in Bedford, NH.

TGIF

Aljack
02-15-2009, 11:12 PM
I agree with the inexpensive vice as your first. You may not even like tying. I just got a Danvise rotary vice after using a Thompson A vice when I first started 25 yrs ago. If you find that you enjoy tying and you also can catch fish with what you tie, then you go looking for more of a vice. You can find all types of info on fly tying for free on the internet so don't go crazy spending money for books without checking on-line first. Also, some fly shops have free fly tying demonstrations where you can watch and ask questions.

fishcocheco
02-16-2009, 06:55 AM
Thanks for the help and off to purchase a $25 vise.