PDA

View Full Version : smelt pattern

Capt.Dan
03-31-2009, 08:41 PM
OK, So after looking around on the net, I found a smelt pattern I can't wait to use! I think this is going to be a new favorite bysides the grey ghost.
here it is step by step.

Hook: size 2-8
Body: ez-body or mylar
wing: grey marabou and pearl flash or what ever color flash you want.
White marabou below the hook. Ty these in backwards..
thread: white and red

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t181/Danimal_021/P3300649.jpg
Ty the red thread at the end and use the white in the front.
Then ty in the marabou
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t181/Danimal_021/P3300657.jpg

Then pull back the marabou and ty in with the red.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t181/Danimal_021/P3300658.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t181/Danimal_021/P3300656.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t181/Danimal_021/P3300655.jpg
I used it today and it looked killa! Hopefully it will produce something tomorrow. If you use this let me know how you do

NH YOUNG GUN
04-01-2009, 07:00 AM
Hey Dan, I like that fly.... looks nice and easy to tie with a pretty fishy result. Question for you though, do you tie your flies in the opposite direction of most?? Just by looking at the way the thread is hanging from the hook it seems that you would have to be wrapping away from yourself when the thread is passing under the hook. Am I just seeing things or is this how you like to tie?? I am not trying to be picky, just curious because I havent really seen many accomplished tiers wrap in that direction...

-NH YOUNG GUN

Capt.Dan
04-01-2009, 04:13 PM
I'm self taught. So I never really thought of it.??? But I ty some one way and others another way, just depends on what holds the materials the best for me...

NH YOUNG GUN
04-01-2009, 04:19 PM
Interesting thanks, thought I was just seeing things! Whip finishing must be wierd depending on the way you are wrapping...

-NH YOUNG GUN

TGIF
04-01-2009, 07:43 PM
I'd love to hear how they worked.... I did a dozen in Grey, Blue and Black, based on a recomendation from Dan Legere (this guy knows smelt)... haven't caught squat with them.

Let me know how you did!!!!

Capt.Dan
04-01-2009, 07:49 PM
They looked killa in the water but I caught nothing...I'm sure whent he fish get active I'll be killing them..let's hope LOL!

TGIF
04-02-2009, 10:51 AM
I agree CD, they swim great!!!! One thing that I also did was put a little red flash for the tail.

In all seriousness, I want to hear thta they worked, because they're easy to tie, and by most accounts it's a damn pretty fly in the water.

TGIF

Cadoda
04-02-2009, 10:32 PM
Dan,
I just tied one of those. I love it, and it was fairly easy to tie. Thanks.
Greg

Cadoda
04-03-2009, 10:24 PM
This was my first time using epoxy. I have 5-minute epoxy. It's still tacky after about 24 hours. Did I do something wrong?

Chappy
04-08-2009, 12:07 PM
Hello,

I use a minor variation of these while trolling Winnipesaukee. It works well througout the year both on downriggers and jigging boxes.

Unless you are on a bridge or point and keep this in the current and deep, I often won't work as well casting especially in a current. The reason is in between strips, the marabou swings in the current faster than the body. I beleive sparse bucktail or feather wings work better as the body and the wing keep the same shape.

Also, I find flashabou complements the marabou better than crystal flash although crystal flash works but keep it sparse. i do like dark crystal flash in copper, purple, black, brown, or olive as a topping on the wing - maybe 4 strands.

Another great Marabou streamer for casting is to wrap the marabou so the hook body is surrounded by the marabou and using flashabou in the wing works nice.

Remember to go small 1.5 inches max or river, streams and ponds. Bigger for the lakes.

A fly like this does well in a pod of bait. In a river or stream, you wont find a lot of bait like you do in a lake and as a result, unless you catch active fish quickly, fish in small water will get a little spooked. In this situation Putt's Special is the marabou streamer I would use if you want to use marabou.

BTW, this pattern with an olive overwing and white underwing with greeenish pearl body braid is the White Perch fly that is deadly on the lakes in summer when they White Perch fry hatch. They often overtake the year of the young smelt as Salmon's preferred dietary intake.

Nice tie. keep them coming.... keep fishing them too.... And they work great for river smallmouth in June, July and August.

Cadoda
04-19-2009, 06:38 PM
I just caught my first trout of the spring on this fly, so thanks again.!

Capt.Dan
04-19-2009, 08:24 PM
Way to go! I have yet to catch anything on it..But good for you! I'll have to try harder next time. keep fishing it.......

Woodduckorange
04-29-2009, 05:42 PM
I don't get on here enough so I'm sorry for not responding sooner as doing so may have helped out several of you during landlocked salmon season.
Captain Dan ... not having seen any reference to the flies, with regards to "your" fly, what you've apparently "stumbled upon" in tying what you've tied is the Thunder Creek series of flies which were popularized around 1973 by Keith Fulsher in his book entitled "Tying and Fishing the Thunder Creek Series". 2-3 years ago, an updated version of the book came out, co-authored by Fulsher and David Klausmeyer, entitled "Thunder Creek Flies".
A fellow in our local fly fishing club, Dick Gibson from Manchester, was a HUGE proponent of this series of flies and fished these patterns VERY effectively for many years for spring salmon at Alton Bay. Sadly, Dick's health has deteriorated and he hasn't fished for a number of years now.
You've done an admiral job on the pattern, including incorporating the use of a straight-eye hook which Fulsher uses (versus an up-eye or down-eye). However, if you were to do some on-line research under "Thunder Creek", you'd find that the head of the fly, as you've tied it, should be about half again, or more, longer.
I have copies of both books. You are more than welcome to take a look at them. If you'd like to see them, simply drop me an email at jayhigh@comcast.net and we can get together at my house in Manchester. Feel free to bring along a buddy or two!
Cheers,
Jay

Capt.Dan
05-02-2009, 12:54 PM
Woodduckorange, I wasn't trying to say it was my own fly. I found it on the internet under smelt pattern from a maine wedsite. I just posted a step by step, And wanted to share it with everyone here. It looks great and still have yet to catch anything on it. I even used it on the salmon river yesterday for awhile. I'll be google thunder creek and check it out. Thanks CD