PDA

View Full Version : what would i need???

ziggyz420
05-02-2009, 12:28 PM
i will soon recive alot of flyfishing materials (6-7 shoeboxes full).

i was looking to get into tying some with my son(he did it in school) moneys a little tight so not looking to go expensive just need something so i can get the hang of it , are there must need things that i should look at buying or would a 60$ starter kit work for me ? i don't want extra stuff i will not need right away just want to start tying basic flies that i use most often and it looks like alot of fun!! any suggestions would be apprecated.

sebastian
05-02-2009, 10:31 PM
except the materials, the only things that you really need are a vise ($13 at cabelas, it's a surprisingly good basic vise), a bobbin and a good pair of small scissors (you can steal your wife's cuticle scissors). The rest of the tools will make your tying easier as you go along and tye more complex flies, but for the start, it's enough. good luck, I always thought that fly fishing is not complete if you don't tye your own flies.:-D

Flyfish99
05-03-2009, 11:15 AM
I agree with Sebastian, with one exception: scissors. Get a decent pair of fine point tying scissors. I prefer Dr. Slick. They are not that expensive, and will make tying much easier, especially if you tie with any kind of hair. Another useful tool is a bodkin. They are not expensive to buy, but since a bodkin is basically only a needle with a handle, you could probably make one quite easily.

Good luck, and have fun.

troutscout
05-04-2009, 09:13 PM
I first tied on a cheap "everything included" starter set that a friend bought for 30 bucks. Came with a book that covered tying basics and a few simple patterns. They sent it to me while I was stationed aboard a ship in the Persian Gulf. It kept me quite entertained for a few months and really whet my appetite. I have since expanded dramatically.

But that's true of everything in flyfishing. You can get a cheap sample of just about anything but once you're sucked in there is an infinite amout of "gear" you can upgrade to.

Vise, scissors, bobbin, thread and some feathers...everything else is an interesting addition.

Slopes
05-05-2009, 09:36 AM
Agreed with the above. I would suggest picking a pattern and make a bunch until you are good at it. Example: learn to tie wooly buggers then mix the colors, black olive etc. One mistake i made learning to tie was trying to do too many patterns instead of getting good at each one individually.

Prince nymphs are easy to tie and one of my favorites to use all year. A good book which you might be able to buy used on Amazon or ebay is " The Benchside Introduction to Fly Tying" by Ted Leeson and Jim Schollmeyer. It walks you through each step and the different methods, wrapping etc.

Good luck!

SWW
05-05-2009, 10:18 AM
Take a trip to the local library and see what they have for tying books.

choa07
05-05-2009, 10:54 AM
I just started tying in Jan., once you get your basic tools definately tie a few woolly buggers try a size 10 or 12 after you get the hang of it. I tied a bunch of them and they are producing for me it feeds the need to tie!! The guys at Stone River are a great resource, they'll take the time to help you with a pattern if you have any questions.

Nitzbon
05-05-2009, 01:03 PM
Good advice from all. When you get the 6-7 shoe boxes of materials, sort the materials and determine if you are missing any basics. When sorting, make sure there are no insect infestations in the feathers or fur. Organize your materials and store them in bug-proof containers. Tying is fun, creative, and you can do a lot with just a little. Good luck!

ziggyz420
05-06-2009, 07:01 AM
Thank you all that have responded, this is great, i am excited to get started, picking up the stuff i will need next week and will be posting my progress!!:mrgreen:

logan
05-06-2009, 12:33 PM
I would also recommend a whip finisher. Makes tying it off a heck off a lit easier than turning half hitches over my fingers.

Casey A. Wood
05-06-2009, 02:46 PM
Also get a good bobbin. I have 3 or 4 of the plastic ones, very fustrating until I got a good one.

choa07
05-06-2009, 04:53 PM
Like Logan said above a whip finisher is nice to have, I still have trouble using it. A guy showed me a trick along the line of Logan's method of half hitches. I usea plastic pen or pencil and make my half hitch on the pen and then end of the pen on the eye of the hook and slide the half hitch down onto the head of my fly while tightening it. Saves a lot of frustration for me.

mjwcab
05-10-2009, 09:13 AM
I started tying last year ... I was never really interested in tying but coming from 365 days warm weather to the long winters of NE made 5-6 months seem ENDLESS. So I started tying at the beginning of this last winter .. I took no instruction (probably a dumb thing)....but I did a little research on materials and equipment. I proceeded to purchased some from ebay and the rest from nearby fly shops (Evening Sun in Pepperell and Stone River in Bedford) As I was advised I went with the Higher end vise (Renzetti) and a pretty much every tool I was told to pick up. Starting out with Woolybuggers then progressing on to BH Pheasant tails , Princes , GR hares ears and a slew of copper john variances . Then I stopped . I had no desire to try and tie drys ... mainly cuz anything under a #14 hook was beyond my eyesight and frustration level. Those flies I am more than willing to purchase and stimulate the fly fishing economy.
So definitely check out ebay and a few fly shops. I was disappointed in the material I ordered from Cabelas and never ordered again from them. I was fortunate to pick up a entire crate load of fly tying stuff from an Estate sale in january . The materials and tools fill 5 Staples corrugated file boxes in my office now....all for a steal of $12.00 . I pretty much have enough deer hair to assemble my own herd.

bobo
05-22-2009, 06:57 AM
Since this is a pretty old post - and I see you have a computer - I'd suggest you cruise Youtube and other flyfishing sites on the internet for short videos that show you step by step how to tie particular flies. That really helps alot to get the order right, and learn good tips. Take a look at troutpredator.com.
Aaron's got a few real good videos of the month.
Other than that, keep tying.

Sultan of Salmon
06-22-2009, 06:34 PM
I am at the same stage ziggy....I will tell you the single most important thing is to get a bobbin with a ceramic tip. It's like two bucks more but worth every penney. It's stops you from breaking threads over and over again