PDA

View Full Version : Blood and Guts Streamer

Chappy
01-17-2006, 01:22 PM
Hello,

Does anybody know what the recipe is for this streamer? Looking to add it to my list of flies to tie this winter.

Thanks.

Chappy.

HarryM
01-17-2006, 04:05 PM
I have not heard of the "Blood and Guts" streamer, but I do know of a "Bloody Butcher" streamer. If you have a picture please post. Here is the Bloody Butcher
http://www.flytyingworld.com/PicturesE/eg-bloodybutcher.jpg

and here are the components:
Hook: Dry #12.
Thread: Black 6/0.
Tail: Ibis or swan dyed red (this fly has red hackle fibers).
Body: Silver tinsel.
Rib: Gold wire.
Wing: Crow wing.
Hackle: Red hackle fibers

Ken B
01-17-2006, 06:31 PM
Harry,

That's a nice looking fly. Do you fish it like a traditional streamer?

Ken

HarryM
01-18-2006, 07:30 AM
Actually Ken that is not one of my flies. I found it on the net several months ago and the unusual name just kinda stuck in my head. When Chappy mentioned Blood & Guts, it jarred my memory of the Bloody Butcher.

If I were tying it, I'd probably do it a little differently, but your right it is a handsome looking fly. I would fish it like a streamer and even tie it a bit bigger so it could be trolled.

Here's the site where I found it.
LINK: http://www.flytyingworld.com/flyindex.shtml

I check this site alot when I'm looking for ideas

Chappy
01-18-2006, 08:04 AM
Watching Shrek last night with my little one. When Shrek was looking at the stars seeing OGRE constellations, and found Blood Nut the Flatulent...

I couldn't resist. Thank God my 3 yr old didn't catch it or asked me questions about it...

There is a bibio muddler which is also a wet fly with black and red. Black and Red is a dynamite combination. The Bloody Butcher is more of a wet fly. I don't nor have ever tied with a crow feather. I would substitute Black bear hair or even black rabbit fur (zonker style) to get a fly with more subtle action.

The blood and guts is used for Salmon on Lake Winni.

Does anyone every fish with a Nine Three anymore?

HarryM
01-18-2006, 02:40 PM
Crow feather is fairly easy to come by without paying for it. Whenever a group of noisy crows settles in my back yard I let my lab out and she loves to tear out after them. She never even comes close to catching one, but there are ususally a couple of feathers left behind. Crows also seem to always be around on garbage collection day - pains in the --- that they are. Whenever I'm near the coast, I'll pick up Sea Gull feathers too. They are big and can be used in place of Turkey feather in a pinch.

The Bloody Butcher is definatelyshown as a wet fly, but if you were to tie it on a streamer hook there is no reason it couldn't be fished as a streamer. Now that you have my interest piqued, can you describe what a Blood & Guts looks like ?

Occasianally I'll fish a nine-three when my more effective flies aren't doing the trick. It's a good fly, but at least for me it's not on my top producing list.

Chappy
01-18-2006, 03:15 PM
This was my original post. I am anxious to see what this fly looks like. I do not know.

Last year on Winni - Top Guns were my best producer although I got a few lakers on the Secret Streamah!!. It is a tandem modified winni smelt with orange DNA fibers... My big fish of the year was a 30 inch laker on a TG and a 3lb 10 oz salmon on a TG.

I am out to mimic better the action and colors of the top gun in a fly. I am using a variety of techniques:
- double bunny
- wound marabou
- flatwing
- Nine Three wing pattern
- Artic fox /Highlander ATS Style
- Magic Head DNA - Epoxy Style
- Traditional Ghost Style
- Zonker Style
- Matuka Style

Of course, i have three primary colors that were exceptional throughout the year. Even the Maynard marvels were slow last year.

Thus my curiosity for the B&G and whether or not there are qualities of that fly I should try to incorporate.

In addition, I am making my own Top Guns this winter as well using some very nice powder paints including an excellent 10 hr glow green.