PDA

View Full Version : Easy Streamers

troutscout
03-08-2005, 07:06 PM
I've been tying for about 2 years but have never tackled any streamers. They've always just looked so complicated. However, I've gained some confidence in my tying skills and I'm ready to give it a try. Could anyone suggest a few patterns that are easy to tie for a novice and useful in New England streams?

Flyfish99
03-08-2005, 07:36 PM
The Black Ghost is a simple but effective pattern to start with. Some bucktail patterns, such as the Light and Dark Edson Tigers are relatively simple and will catch fish. If you can find one, get ahold of a copy of "Streamer Fly Tying and Fishing" by Joe Bates. It's out of print, but is pretty much the "bible" on streamers.

flytire
03-09-2005, 08:57 AM
I would look for some easy bucktail streamers. Mickey Finns, Black Nose Dace etc. Wooly buggers is another easy tie. Then you could progress to the more difficult featherwing style.

GOOGLE is a good place to look up fly patterns as well as the multitude of tying books out there.

Good luck,

dcs2
03-09-2005, 11:29 AM
You can also substitute maribou for feathers on on the Black Ghost. Works fine; easy to tie.

Salmon Slayer
03-09-2005, 05:17 PM
Personally, I prefer maribu on black ghosts, although sometimes if the feathers are sparse i put two in to give it a full look.

Boneylegs
03-09-2005, 08:36 PM
You could also try the Red & White Marabou & the Montreal Whore (which combines bucktail & marabou)...and don't pass up the opportunity to try tying with llama hair. I tied up some Supervisors with blue llama & can't wait to try them out in a few weeks. The llama has unreal movement in the water, similar to marabou.

TomS
03-10-2005, 07:43 AM
When I first started fly-fishing I met a gentleman on the Isinglass River who took pity on me one afternoon after seeing that I was new to the sport. He gave me some tips, walked me around to a few different spots, and gave me one of the flies he was using with great success. As it turns out, he was a regional editor for Field and Stream, and really kick-started my fly-fishing addiction that day.

Long story short, the fly he gave me was a black ghost with marabou wing. The next day I went out and picked up an Orvis fly-tying kit, and promptly taught myself how to tie. The black ghost proved to be a great pattern to start with as it didn't require any fancy materials and the marabou wing made it very forgiving to a beginner, and the fish didn't seem to care.

-- Tom

troutscout
03-11-2005, 04:48 AM
Thanks for all the input. In actuality, I have tied streamers of the wooly bugger and the black nose dace sort. Its the featherwings that look more like Christmas tree ornaments, that I've avoided tackling. I the I'll give they gray and black ghosts a swag. Thanks for all the input

Boneylegs
03-11-2005, 06:22 AM
Hey troutscout, if you really want to start into the featherwings, I might suggest picking up a copy of David Klausmeyers book Tying Classic Freshwater Streamers. Excellent how to procedures and GREAT pictures!

fessiewig
03-11-2005, 06:36 AM
Bonneylegs is right! I have a copy of the book and it's great. You'll be tying featherwings in no time.

BugChucka
03-11-2005, 08:19 AM
I love how once a fly is labled a classic people give up on them. I have more success with old wet fly patterns and streamers and outfish more people than you'd ever believe...[/quote]

fessiewig
03-11-2005, 08:26 AM
BugChucka,

I love classic wet's. People fishing the Hendrickson hatch should try a Pink Lady sometime, they might be surprised. What are some of the classic patterns you especially like?

troutscout
03-11-2005, 07:07 PM
Great another flybook! Its gotten to where I have to sneak them into the house without my wife seeing them. I'll have to check it out...Thanks!

maddog48
03-13-2005, 05:17 PM
One more book for you to check out is Dick Surette's Trout and Salmon Fly Index. Over 170 classic patterns and some have a brief history behind them. I paid about $20 after tax and I use mine all the time. Happy tying...

Mike

wb man
03-30-2005, 12:36 AM
Sorry to disagree guys, but I dont think Klausmeyers book is NEARLY as helpfull as Bates, Martineks or Hilyards. I think the pics are lacking and most of the patterns are contemporary and/or regional and/or artistic ties. If you want a serious streamer book nothing tops Bates' for time tested streamer patterns. If you want a great history of the featherwing nothing tops Hilyards, although it features Carrie Stevens and her method of tying, also known as the "Rangeley Style" (Im more of a Herb Welch fan) its really the only thing out there. If youve got the cash and can find one, Forgotten Flies has an incredible array of CS patterns along with many known and lessor known tiers/patterns and is probably the greatest looking pictoral fly book every published. Featherwings are definitely hard to tie, dont get discouraged though, they are probably the most rewarding flies to tie AND fish. I may be prejudice, but.....Duane

flytackle
04-03-2005, 07:29 PM
I'll second the plug for Joe Bates book. It's great. Alec