View Single Post
Old 12-24-2011, 01:20 PM

Augiedog33,
I live in SW Washington State - Vancouver. I don't know much about the Puget Sound area. Are you after steelhead? If you are, you have some options. Obviously a guide would be the easiest way to go. I agree with what was already stated - The Yakima is a good trout fishery. For steelhead - if you don't mind driving - I would check out the Cowlitz river. It would be somewhere around 1 - 1.5 hours from you. The Cowlitz is the best producer in WA for steelhead. Bank access is tough but doable. A float trip would do the trick. Big water, ideal with a 2 handed rod. It's a gear guys paradise. That said, I know people who do well on steelhead. For a guide (spey), look up Steve Buckner.

If you wanted to drive a little further south, you have the Kalama River. Its MUCH smaller water. Your time frame might provide opportunity for late summer steelhead and also some salmon.

Most of my time is spent on the OR side of the Columbia River, so I can't be of to much help. Hopefully the Cowlitz and Kalama will give you a place to start. There are options in the Puget Sound area - call some shops.

Good luck