October 18, 2018

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Gear Discussion

Old 04-27-2018, 12:25 AM

Default Made in the USA

So I posted over in the general about a setup I was looking at for my first and I wanted it all made in the USA. I listed the Moonshine Rods Drifter series as my rod of a choice but was kindly informed they were only wrapped her in the US and to check on the actual blank. So I did and as it turns out the blanks are from either South Korea (midnight specials)and assembled in the US or China (other models) and only "finishing touches" are done here in the US. That being said I have no problem with that but it doesn't fit what I want in a made in the US setup. This is my first serious freshwater fly rod /reel as I have had cheaper combos when I was younger and I have a saltwater rod that I havent used in many years. I think I am sold on the Teton USA reel (any reviews of this would be great) but now I'm back to looking for a rod. I have reached out to Semperfly Rods and asked if their planks were made here in the US but no answer yet. Any other US made rods that are in the "budget" price of 200-350? Thanks for any help.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:18 AM

Like I mentioned the teton reels are outstanding for the money, especially for a U.S. reel.

Not sure what your budget is but any rod made in the U.S. is going to cost you some cash. I admire your desire for an all U.S. setup but I have many overseas made rods that have caught just as many fish as my U.S. made Sage, Winston, Scott and Orvis rods.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:44 AM

Thank you again. I know made in the US is always a bit more but that's ok. I have no problems with companies that make them over seas...... I think half of my saltwater rods are St. Croix or Shakespeare. I think I was looking to just support a smaller outfit small business than buy another big brand rod.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:02 PM

I don't know what your needs are in a Made in USA rod, but I own many old rods that were Made in the USA and have never paid more than $200 for one, usually less than $100. Admittedly, my rods are usually bamboo, but I also have some wood and some early fiberglass rods.

If you check the http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/ you might find mention of an old rod model that will suit you.

I empathize with your determination to have a locally made outfit. Good Luck!
Old 04-27-2018, 03:52 PM

Thank you! I really just feel like we buy enough products made overseas in our daily lives and when it comes to hobbies I could try and support a US company. No specific needs I know a 100$ cabelas special would work just fine as well.