September 26, 2018

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 05-18-2018, 08:59 AM

So what is the rationale for this regulation restricting fishing for trout at night? From what I can tell, it's only trout fishing that is prohibited.

I did just email F&G as I'm curious about what the reason could be.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:57 AM

Default some thoughts

Quote:
'Everyone does it' never worked very well with my mother when I was a kid.
IMO Fish & Game does the best they can with what they've got. There's much territory to cover, many hats to wear. I don't think it's about "they don't enforce", they just can't be everywhere at once.

As fishdude said Mollidgewock State Park is about 5 miles south of Errol. I've never spotted the markers at Bragg's Bay, but I assume they would be near where the river narrows south of the Rt 26 bridge.

To my knowledge the rule about no night fishing for trout has to do with protecting trout large enough and old enough to have become cannibals. Those that eat more fish, even their smaller brethren in some cases, and less bugs. Do fish like that still exist? I don't know myself, but if they do they deserve they're place in the ecosystem. I'll accept the regs and night fish for bass.

I'd be interested in the official response from F&G though.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:09 PM

Everyone should be using barbless hooks period

There are some clean ecosystems around but eating the fish we catch regardless how healthy they are, is really rolling the dice

The andro to the ct river and everywhere between has been subject to either mercury, facility treatment, farm runoff chemicals and manure, to whatever else

I watch guys fish in posted areas - areas that state clearly on an orange sign that the fish are contaminated. But they go home with buckets full

If you won’t scoop a glass of river water to wet your lips with and quench your thirst, don’t eat the fish

If you don’t eat the fish use barbless hooks. Oh and don’t eat the fish.

If you use barbless hooks and c&r, what’s the big deal fishing at night
Old 05-23-2018, 01:35 PM

Got a reply, and I'll just qualify it and say I'm not considering this an "official" response.

"This regulation has been in place for many years and that it only pertains to trout and salmon could be because traditionally, these species were seen as having a higher “value” and are in lesser abundance than our warmwater species. It may also be related to a sense of “fair chase” and game wardens not being able to be out all night to patrol the trout waters. We do allow night fishing for brown trout on sections of the Ammonoosuc and Androscoggin Rivers. This special brown trout regulation came about back in the 1990’s at the request of a Trout Unlimited Chapter."

Reading between the lines... it seems like F&G (or at least the person who got my email) doesn't have a clear cut reason today why this restriction was instituted so many years ago ("could be..." "may also be..."). That's why I don't want to say this is an "official response" but just one F&G staff member kind enough to reply back to my query with his/her opinion.

This might just be one of those "huh... not sure why we can't fish for trout at night... just always been in the books like that." Apparently the "why" might be lost.

Anyone have a recollection of TU's lobbying for special brown trout regs in the 90's?
Old 05-23-2018, 03:27 PM

I don’t know but I just added night time mousing on the Andro to my summer calendar

Thank you for sharing