December 10, 2018

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 06-30-2018, 06:13 PM

Default Fly shop

When I go to a fly shop and ask about local conditions and get more than a canned answer I really appreciate it . I always buy something, sometimes more, sometimes less . I think the least I buy is a few flies and that would only be if I really needed nothing at all. My situation is that I live in Mass but do most of my Fly fishing in NH and Maine , mostly around North Conway and venture as far as Errol. I dont fish alot so I dont frequent a shop enough that Iíd feel comfortable having someone be generous with their knowledge and saying thanks and walk out. Maybe thatís just my hangup. I was curious, do you always buy something? Do you have a minimum you spend? Iím talking about going in with the intent of finding out general conditions, not just popping into a shop to browse.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFly View Post
When I go to a fly shop and ask about local conditions and get more than a canned answer I really appreciate it . I always buy something, sometimes more, sometimes less . I think the least I buy is a few flies and that would only be if I really needed nothing at all. My situation is that I live in Mass but do most of my Fly fishing in NH and Maine , mostly around North Conway and venture as far as Errol. I dont fish alot so I dont frequent a shop enough that Iíd feel comfortable having someone be generous with their knowledge and saying thanks and walk out. Maybe thatís just my hangup. I was curious, do you always buy something? Do you have a minimum you spend? Iím talking about going in with the intent of finding out general conditions, not just popping into a shop to browse.
I think that it is always a good gesture to buy something. Doesn't have to be a Scott or Winston fly rod with a Hatch reel but just something. Maybe a few flies or a hat or shirt with their name on it. Recently I was with my wife visiting her family in San Diego and we went into the only fly shop I could find and I bought a hat and they thanked me for 'representing' them and when I mentioned that I'd be doing it all the way from New Hampshire they gave me the half dozen or so trout flies I had picked out for free.

As far as fly shops go I feel that they should be prepared to give up information about local conditions. That's the business that they're in... to help as many people get into fish as possible. Its sad to go into such a place and have them be tight lipped. Luckily for us the shops we have around here are excellent. Nate and Dan at Stone River Outfitters are awesome and will go out of their way to help you. Jim and Crew at Eldredge Bros are very welcoming as well and are very knowledgeable about anything from stripers to brook trout in the North Maine Woods. Steve at North Country Angler outs out a weekend fishing outlook every Friday on facebook an highlights conditions/hatches/patterns.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:25 PM

I always at least buy some flies, maybe a leader or 2. Was recently in PA and stopped in a shop. Just bought 1/2 dozen flies. We talked about where I was fishing and the owner offered up a few other places to try. Just feels like the right thing to do. I don't really search out new water but if they offer up info I'm good with that!
Old 07-05-2018, 08:20 PM

Agree, just a financial thank you