September 23, 2018

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Gear Discussion

Old 10-05-2010, 10:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to Capt.Dan
Default wading shoes

Hey guys, I'm looking for a pair of wading shoes with rubber grips with studs. Was wondering if you could point me in the right direction. I was looking at this boot that has built in studs. http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/63705...709-ppxs&dds=y
But I'm worried I'll wear through them in a year. Vers the ones you can replace. Right now I'm running a pair of old LLbean boots with felt soles and I put stainless steel sheet metal screws in them but I'm still having to replace the screws every year. You might be laughing right now but they are the best shoes I've owned to date and I never slip!
Do many of you fish with rubber sole shoes with studs?
thanks CD
Old 10-05-2010, 10:55 AM

Default Bargin Cave

I have two pairs of these , one oversized pair for winter fishing and one pair for everything else. "Cabela's Guidewear Pro Rubber Sole Wading Boots" I belive they are made by Chota as the studs look the same , I can get 3 years out of a pair of studs.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Footw..._SEQ_103896180

Last edited by lowwall; 10-05-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:15 AM

I have those same boots- picked them up in the spring when my last pair of Bean boots blew out on a seam. They are rugged and durable.

Only thing to get used to is there is a ton of ankle support- almost too much. So if you like stiff high hiking boots- then these are comfy. The studs grip pretty well. They are a bitch to tie tight as when you pull on the laces- they do not pull through the eyelets very easily due to the rubberized coating. Those are my only 2 knocks. Other than that- I love them and they are comfy.

And they are Beans... You don't like them for any reason- bring the receipt and get your money back - no question.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:34 AM

I've been watching the vibram sole boot market for at least two maybe three seasons now. I've had the Beans 10/5 soles with studs in the past, they worked but they were not the greatest.

I didn't like any of the new tread designs on anything until this spring when Orvis came out with a sole that resembles the original vibram hiking boot sole that was the industry standard for over 50 years.

I picked up a set of brogues two weeks ago but haven't had the chance to use them yet.

If you want to take a look at them they are 20% off right now.
http://flyfishingonly.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5577
Old 10-06-2010, 04:38 PM

those look nice.. i am def in need of a new pair...
Old 10-06-2010, 06:25 PM

I got mine at the LL Bean outlet in Concord on a half off weekend for $48...
Keep your eyes open... And that was for the studded version
Old 10-06-2010, 06:45 PM

I've had those same Bean boots since the beginning of June, last year. I've worn them over 100 times, been in the salt 1/2 dozen times or so, walked a bunch of miles with them. Whenever they wear out, I will get the same boots from Bean again.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:25 AM

I have had Choatas for the last 2 years and they have performed very well. Easy to get in and out of, but could be improved if the had a loop at the rear to pull them on. Speed laces are OK at first but wore out and stretched quickly so I went with a regular lace. This allowed tighter loacing and better support. The grip on the sole was much better than the LL Bean first models from 8 years ago. Good value for the money compared to the Simms. If Cabela's are made by Choata, then that might be a great cost option.

S