September 23, 2018

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Off Topic

Old 03-05-2008, 02:00 PM

Default car

I am planning on buying a new car and was wondering if it would be cheaper to buy one in NH as opposed to NY. I read somewhere that the "live free or die" motto does not coincide with car sales and that I would actually end up paying more in fees in NH then NY. Any thoughts???
Old 03-05-2008, 02:21 PM

Every year in NH, you have to register the car with the state and the town you live in. The bigger the car, more moola. I don't know the deal if you live in NY.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:45 PM

The lack of sales tax in NH will more then outweigh the cost of a larger registration. Also, the registration is considered a state tax and is a rightoff on next years taxes.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:13 PM

Default Car

Check your PM.
Jay
Old 03-05-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonh View Post
I am planning on buying a new car and was wondering if it would be cheaper to buy one in NH as opposed to NY. I read somewhere that the "live free or die" motto does not coincide with car sales and that I would actually end up paying more in fees in NH then NY. Any thoughts???

My thoughts are you should buy your car from the guy down the street.

Purchase Price is only part of the question. You are going to pay NY taxes if you register the vehicle in NY. If you have second home in NH, it is concievable that you could register your vehicle under that second property ~ although, there may be some caveats with that idea. I don't know.

But, I believe the purchase price and registration choices for your vehicle really don't amount to a big difference ~ when viewed in total. Who's going to service the car? How long do you plan on owning the car? When you compare the few dollars in savings here, versus there, against the time you will own the vehicle, it may not make sense to purchase at great distance.

If you don't like the 'negotiate' part of buying a car ~ buy a Saturn (or the like).

We have threads on this board about supporting your local fly shop. If you believe in that idea ~ which I do ~why wouldn't you support your local car dealer?
Old 03-06-2008, 06:05 AM

I do not know if it will be cheaper or not I would have to look at the deal. I am a car dealer. I buy and sell cars in NY all the time.
Are you looking at a new or used car. If its new we all pay the same except for MA they have the highest advertizing built into the price. Its depends on the car but its anywhere from 150.00- 800.00.
If its a used car and you are looking at it on ebay or craigs list, I wouldn't waste the money or the time. If its a specific kind of used car mabey highline I would go look at it.
You only pay taxes where you register the car.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:10 AM

Do the math and see where you get the best deal with all things considered. Even if you're saving $150, that's a lot of fishing gear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeledward View Post
We have threads on this board about supporting your local fly shop. If you believe in that idea ~ which I do ~why wouldn't you support your local car dealer?
I don't buy that at all. I mean no offense to Blake, but I doubt I'm the only one who believes that buying/leasing a car (which I've had to do 3 times in the last 7 years as the family has grown) is one of the most unpleasant experiences a human can have. 3 different dealers, same bad taste.

If you had to haggle over price every time you went into your local fly shop and came away feeling like you got taken for a ride, more folks would be price shopping on the internet.

I'm all for the dealers getting the most they can from a customer ... that's business, but I think they suffer on the flip side because a customer feels no dealer loyalty when it comes time for the next car.

Again, no offense to people in the business, just my honest take.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:10 AM

So it seems like a whole lot of time consuming paper work adn legal business to buy a car in NY and transfer it to NY, so I think I am better off buying it in NH. Thanks for all of the input and help.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownfly View Post
Do the math and see where you get the best deal with all things considered. Even if you're saving $150, that's a lot of fishing gear!

I don't buy that at all. I mean no offense to Blake, but I doubt I'm the only one who believes that buying/leasing a car (which I've had to do 3 times in the last 7 years as the family has grown) is one of the most unpleasant experiences a human can have. 3 different dealers, same bad taste.

If you had to haggle over price every time you went into your local fly shop and came away feeling like you got taken for a ride, more folks would be price shopping on the internet.

I'm all for the dealers getting the most they can from a customer ... that's business, but I think they suffer on the flip side because a customer feels no dealer loyalty when it comes time for the next car.

Again, no offense to people in the business, just my honest take.
I look at buying a car in the same manner I look at buying a gallon of milk. Automobiles are commodities; not a woman, waiting to be woo-ed.

I decide which vehicle I wish to drive.
I search the local dealer inventories on the web.
I email the dealers and ask them their price for a specific stock number on their lot.
I buy the vehicle from the best offer I get in return.
No haggling; just a quick purchase and sale.

If I invested three or four or five hours (days?) haggling for an extra $150.00 bucks off the price ~ I would leave with bad feelings which I would be reminded of every time I turned the ignition key.

Buying in this manner, I get a fair price. A price with which I am happy. I suffer no headaches. And, I drive a car I a pleased to get into each day. The last car I bought, I sent out the email requests at noontime, and I took delivery of my Mazda MPV before noon the next day.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:55 AM

michaeledward:

I hear ya when $150 is at stake. From my recent outing for a minivan in October, I paid literally $1800 less than I would have if I signed the papers just one week earlier from the exact same dealer. That's a lot of money in this household.

Just my experience.