October 18, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 08-02-2017, 03:32 PM

Default NHFG Proposing Expanded Bait Fishing Magalloway/Androscoggin

Forgive the X-post if you have seen this on the other forums where I posted. Not my usual style but I'm infuriated by the apparently underhanded way the leadership at NHFG is proposing to make a substantial rule change. If they were truly interested in receiving public input they would have posted the intent of the upcoming meeting--to allow expanded bait fishing on portions of the Magalloway and Androscoggin Rivers.

Please see below:

Apparently there is a move afoot in NH to alter regulations on portions of both the Androscoggin and Magalloway rivers to allow bait fishing. I am incredibly frustrated that NHFG would even consider risking one of the premiere brook trout fisheries in the Northeast. This rule change has the potential to impact a world class brook trout fishery across two states. Biologists in both Maine and NH have done years of radio tracking and shown that brook trout frequently move across state lines. Risking increased mortality from bait fishing seems unwise--but that is apparently the quiet proposal that is circulating.

A meeting is scheduled on August 17 at 7pm in the Errol NH town hall.
http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/news....html?news=730

The meeting announcement is quite vague--but is reportedly the first step in expanding bait fishing. If you can attend and voice your opinion it is certain to be helpful. Having watched these types of rulemakings progress in the past, this will be as much about politics and who shouts loudest as being about what is sound management based on data.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:55 PM

I wouldn't call it one of the "premiere" brook trout fisheries but I see your point. Not sure what the reasoning behind this is. Although you might not think the same as me, NH does have some excellent bios and they are more affected by politics than in other states.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:20 AM

I did not read anything about "expanded bait fishing".

I think you has misinformation on this, the lower portions of the river this time of year near Umbagog are a warm water fishery, and choked with vegetation and weeds. I know that these areas are popular for ice fishing for perch, pickerel and bass and in the summer this area was often a popular area for fishing for horn pout.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:58 AM

Do not be mistaken, this is exactly what it appears to be, NH F&G throwing science out the window to placate a few anglers who, now that the trout are thriving because of regulations, want to rape the resource.

Proposing under the guise of wanting to catch horn pout, 250 people signed a petition asking for the rule change to bait fishing. The new regs will state that any trout caught be immediately released.

It has been scientifically demonstrated and peer reviewed that mortality on bait caught fish released is 35%.

They shouldn't even be having this hearing.

However, if this does pass, just because 250 people signed a petition, I will bury F&G with petitions to make all of the wild trout streams in the WMNF designated "wild trout" since NH F&G no longer needs scientific evidence to make a rule change.

And if politics is what is going to be the driver now for F&G, I know a few legislators who would love to close some hatcheries, save some $, and let wild trout take over.

Steve

Last edited by truiteman; 08-06-2017 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truiteman View Post
I will bury F&G with petitions to make all of the wild trout streams in the WMNF designated "wild trout" since NH F&G no longer needs scientific evidence to make a rule change.

I would happily be the first to sign this petition ...
Old 08-03-2017, 11:36 AM

Steve,

I think that you mean hornpout not burbot? Burbot or cusk is a coldwater species that is not found in Lake Umbagog.

I am all for protecting wild trout, but have you fished that area where the river meets the lake? Its all pickerel and bass.