August 21, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-02-2017, 03:32 PM

Default NHFG Proposing Expanded Bait Fishing Magalloway/Androscoggin

Forgive the X-post if you have seen this on the other forums where I posted. Not my usual style but I'm infuriated by the apparently underhanded way the leadership at NHFG is proposing to make a substantial rule change. If they were truly interested in receiving public input they would have posted the intent of the upcoming meeting--to allow expanded bait fishing on portions of the Magalloway and Androscoggin Rivers.

Please see below:

Apparently there is a move afoot in NH to alter regulations on portions of both the Androscoggin and Magalloway rivers to allow bait fishing. I am incredibly frustrated that NHFG would even consider risking one of the premiere brook trout fisheries in the Northeast. This rule change has the potential to impact a world class brook trout fishery across two states. Biologists in both Maine and NH have done years of radio tracking and shown that brook trout frequently move across state lines. Risking increased mortality from bait fishing seems unwise--but that is apparently the quiet proposal that is circulating.

A meeting is scheduled on August 17 at 7pm in the Errol NH town hall.
http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/news....html?news=730

The meeting announcement is quite vague--but is reportedly the first step in expanding bait fishing. If you can attend and voice your opinion it is certain to be helpful. Having watched these types of rulemakings progress in the past, this will be as much about politics and who shouts loudest as being about what is sound management based on data.