December 14, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 12-21-2011, 12:20 PM

Default Washington State

Hey guys,

My wife and sister in law are planning a trip, where my wife, daughter and I go out to Washington (Seattle area) to visit my sister in law. It is a weeklong trip and I have been allotted 3 days to fish. Any suggestions? I was looking online and the trout and salmon fishing look awesome. Hopefully you guys on the forum can steer me in the right direction.

Thanks
Augiedog
Old 12-21-2011, 02:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to Capt.Dan

what month are you going out there? I know sept, oct are great months out there
Old 12-21-2011, 03:21 PM

This past spring, I float fished the Yakima River. It's not exactly in seattle, but a couple hours drive east.

It's not really that great a river to wade though.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:11 PM

Probably heading out that way late summer, early fall. I'm guessing September.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:19 PM

Fished the Yakima last year. Can't say enough good things about the fishing or the outfitter. Ellensburg is only about a 2 hr drive from the airport. If you go in the fall, there are many rivers available to you including some for steel. Here is the guide shop info:

http://www.theeveninghatch.com/shop.htm
Old 12-23-2011, 08:31 PM

My daughter was a wilderness ranger out of Marblemount in the N. Cascades Nat. Park and on the Skagit River in the 1990's. You will not find a more beautiful place. It is a long ride from Seattle though. Much of the fishing in the state is very seasonal and it is a huge state. You could easily spend your 3 days driving. Talk to some shops within your driving distance. You may be better off going for some consistant average fishing rather than somewhere world renoun unless your timing is just right.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:20 PM

Augiedog33,
I live in SW Washington State - Vancouver. I don't know much about the Puget Sound area. Are you after steelhead? If you are, you have some options. Obviously a guide would be the easiest way to go. I agree with what was already stated - The Yakima is a good trout fishery. For steelhead - if you don't mind driving - I would check out the Cowlitz river. It would be somewhere around 1 - 1.5 hours from you. The Cowlitz is the best producer in WA for steelhead. Bank access is tough but doable. A float trip would do the trick. Big water, ideal with a 2 handed rod. It's a gear guys paradise. That said, I know people who do well on steelhead. For a guide (spey), look up Steve Buckner.

If you wanted to drive a little further south, you have the Kalama River. Its MUCH smaller water. Your time frame might provide opportunity for late summer steelhead and also some salmon.

Most of my time is spent on the OR side of the Columbia River, so I can't be of to much help. Hopefully the Cowlitz and Kalama will give you a place to start. There are options in the Puget Sound area - call some shops.

Good luck
Old 12-29-2011, 10:23 PM

I second the recommendation for the Cowlitz.

I was stationed a Fort Lewis near Tacoma from 03 to 06 and fished it quite often. In addition to steelhead, you'll have the opportunity to catch some coastal cutthroat.

Check out http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/. It is a decent forum like this one and might be a good resource for you.

I also second the recommendation for Steve Buckner as a possible guide. I fished with him on the Hoh river out on the pennisula and he is an outstanding guide. His website is http://www.northwestflyfisherman.com/

Warren