December 14, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Fly Tying

Old 09-20-2012, 03:13 PM

Another vote for the Renzetti Traveler! (Although I am by no means a prolific...or skilled...tier.)
It is a plain fact, however, that downstream fishing with a non-imitative fly (lure, in the British sense) does not mix comfortably with upstream imitative fishing...I'll stay out of the argument about whether this technique is really fly fishing. In terms of interest, it is for me ahead of most downstream fishing and spinning. And I've already opined that spinning is better than staying at home with the television set.

Datus Proper, "What The Trout Said"
Old 09-20-2012, 03:43 PM

As always, thanks for all the feedback guys, it's much appreciated! You've all given me plenty to look into. After work I'll look into all these and post any questions I think of. Thanks again.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to Solid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve H. View Post
Another vote for the Renzetti Traveler! (Although I am by no means a prolific...or skilled...tier.)
Same here. Tough to beat this one...
Old 09-20-2012, 09:58 PM

As a low income college student i tried going as cheap as i could when i bought a vice. I looked around and found some reviews and they all lead to the E Z Rotary vice. It is a Rotary and pedestal vice that is only 60$! It may be made in Pakistan and it may not last as long as a Peak or something but two years in and it still works great. I have tied from size 20 up to size 2 on it and the rotary system works great. 60$ on Hookhack.com

Just me poor college two cents...
Old 09-21-2012, 10:12 AM

Default another low cost recommendation

You might give this a try. It is no frills, i have had one for about 10 years and it serves me just fine

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/fly-tying-vises/042030400009.aspx

The only real drawback is that it doesn't have a cam mechanism to lock the jaws onto the hook like the Peak or Renzetti. Instead there are 2 lock screws you tighten to lock the hook in. It holds hooks quite well. If you were tying 10 dozen flies it might become cumbersome, but if you are are only tying to fill your own box, you can tie flies in from size 24 to 1/0 on it no problem....

Warren
Old 09-21-2012, 08:35 PM

I have a regal and a Peak rotary I alway go back to the regal because of the grip it has on the hook J Stockard will be having there annual sale 20% off in Dec -January time frame
Old 09-21-2012, 10:15 PM

thanks guys! here's a question for you all: Do you guys prefer the pedestal stand for portability or the clamp for security? I tie a bunch of stacked deer hair head streamers (huge Kelly Galloup fan!) and was wondering how the pedestal would stand up to some serious tugging? I tie mostly in the size 12-2/0 range. Though if I know I'm going back to the Elk River in WV I'll suck it up and spend a few nights tying 28's-20's.

Cheers!
Old 09-21-2012, 11:01 PM

I like the pedestal base so that I can use it anywhere. Get the heavest base you can and I use that non slip stuff that goes under rugs so the vise doesn't move no matter what I tye.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:40 PM

I like a C-clamp. If you are thinking of a pedestal base, put a hook in the vise, tie on some thread and see if you can move it without breaking the thread. If the thread breaks before the vise moves the pedestal is heavy enough.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:40 AM

1. i tie on the original traveler vise that came out 20+ years ago.

2. i switched to the lever jaws when they first came out

3. i have a pedestal for the renzetti so i can tie else where

4. i am not recommending the traveler.

5. my recommendation is to head out to your local fly shop and tie some flies on their demo vises, both c clamp and pedestal styles and then decide which vise suits your tying style. one vise may be better at doing something another vise may not be good at doing. the 3 styles of vises (stationary, rotary and true rotary) all do the same thing: hold a hook! this is where the big decision comes in. you really have to tie on all 3 styles. i could spin flies all day long on the traveler but for years i haven't used the rotary function. i guess that novelty has worn off.

6. its your choice to make, not mine/ours.

here is some good reading

http://www.flyfishohio.com/Vise%20Re..._Shoot-Out.htm

My Midge Page

Flytying: New & Old

Last edited by flytire; 09-22-2012 at 06:47 AM.