December 14, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 04-17-2009, 12:10 PM

Default new to the forum/ patterns for NH

I am new to the forum and would like a little assistance. I am an avid fly fisherman and have been tying for about 10 years. I have fly fished in Washington state, Kentucky, New Mexico and Maine. I am curently stationed in Iraq but will likely be relocating myself and my family to NH from New Mexico when my current tour ends (I will get there in November).

I will have some time to tie flies while I am completing the second half of my tour. What I would like to know is what are some of the productive patterns for stream and river fishing in NH.

I also would like to try my hand at some of the salmon fishing I see on the forum. Any patterns (like the old rangely style streamers) would be appreciated.

I am interested in sizes/colors and all phases of the insect life cycle. It would be a great help if I knew what hatches correspond to what months/seasons.

Also if there are any other resources (shops, books, websites etc) that you could point me to that would be great

I am sure the old standards (pheasant tails, adams, caddis, hare's ears,etc) will work. However, I have been fishing out west for so long, I don't know if there is anything specific for the east or NH.

I am not looking for your secret pattern, just some good old faithfuls that will help me get a start to stocking my boxes. It will also be a good way to pass my spare time in Iraq.

Thanks in advance

Warren

Last edited by Warren Perry; 04-17-2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:32 PM

I am new to the game so I cannot help you with the fly patterns, except everyone recommends W' Buggers to me, but, Thanks for serving our country! What part of NH are you thinking of moving to?
Old 04-17-2009, 12:55 PM

For books, one must-have is Thomas Ames' "Hatch Guide For New England Streams."
It is a plain fact, however, that downstream fishing with a non-imitative fly (lure, in the British sense) does not mix comfortably with upstream imitative fishing...I'll stay out of the argument about whether this technique is really fly fishing. In terms of interest, it is for me ahead of most downstream fishing and spinning. And I've already opined that spinning is better than staying at home with the television set.

Datus Proper, "What The Trout Said"
Old 04-17-2009, 01:18 PM

Default Welcome

After struggling with nymphs for two years, I like using the Prince Nymph, either beaded or not.
Streamers I like are Mickey Finn and Dark Edson Tigers. Hornbergs are fun to watch in the water. I don't use them alot, therefore haven't had much luck. (My problem, not the fish).
BWO's would be nice in the box.
You'll hear alot more, I am sure.
I hope you like NH when you get here. Good luck in getting out of Iraq.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:10 PM

I am with Steve H. on this one - the book he suggested is great and covers it all - A must have for NH flyfishermen.........
Old 04-19-2009, 05:35 PM

thanks guys,

I will tie up some stuff and post some pictures when i get a chance.

I will also buy the Ames book for reference

Tight lines

Warren
Old 04-20-2009, 02:42 PM

Streamers- you hit the nail on the head with that one. New England is the birthplace of the streamer and maybe nowhere else are they more essential to the trout fisherman. They are our biggest contribution to fly fishing.
http://globalflyfisher.com/streamers/ There should be enough patterns on that site to keep you busy for a while. In my experience the old patterns work just as well as the new ones, sometimes better.
If the streamers aren't enough to keep you busy PM me and I can give you a short list of traditional wet flies that produce well here and that you may not have heard of. They are a lot of fun to tie as well.
Stay safe over there.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:05 PM

I have had good success with traditional wet flies like partridge and orange/yellow, heron fly, woodduck heron, and soft hackles when there is no obvious hatch. Kind of my old stand by when nothing else works. Plus, they are easy to fish, just swing them across and down, or even use as dropper.
Stay safe over there. Let's hope the worst is over.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:44 PM

Thought I'd bring this old thread back to the top. The Army in its ultimate wisdom has changed my plans 2 years ago and sent me to KY instead of NH. Now as fate would have it, my move to NH is becoming a reality. I am in the process of buying a house in Bow and will be moving north next week. I hope to be on the water before the seasons closes.

I have been searching the forum for the last copule of days. I hope to put some of your generous info to good use.

Tight lines

Warren

Last edited by Warren Perry; 08-10-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Perry View Post
Thought I'd bring this old thread back to the op. The Army in its ultimate wisdom has changed my plans 2 years ago and sent me to KY instead of NH. Now as fate would have it, my move to NH is becoming a reality. I am in the process of buying a house in Bow and will be moving north next week. I hope to be on the water before the seasons closes.

I have been searching the forum for the last copule of days. I hope to put some of your generous info to good use.

Tight lines

Warren

Nice welcome to NH and to the board again. Thanks for serving and welcome back from that also . many guys in the area of BOW from the board sure you could hook up with some of them and catch some of the fall fishing good luck .