December 14, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Fly Tying

Old 01-25-2012, 12:46 PM

Default Fly Tying Room Ideas

Usually by this time every winter I am tying flies. But having moved this past fall I do not have a place set up yet to unpack the boxes of materials or a bench area dedicated to tying.

A couple weeks ago I started finishing my future tying space. I am renovating a potting shed that is attached to my garage. I have been busy at night insulating and finishing the walls and ceiling. I still have quite a bit to do along with the floor, some doors and lighting etc.

I am looking for ideas that you may use or have seen with reguards to a bench, desk, and especially storage. I am tring to get away from the plastic storage containers I have been using over the years, and scanning craigs list and other places for old pieces of furniture or things that may be usefull.

If you have pictures of your tying area or room and any ideas of things that you have found and converted post them up here, I would love to see and hear about them.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:31 PM

I use 2 desks...my primary desk is an antique fold-down desk (similar to a roll-top).
This desk has one drawer and ample cubby hole spaces for my primary materials, vise, tools...My secodary desk is a large roll-top that is to my immediate left. This desk has 2 draws and same amount of cubby hole storage for most of my secondary materials.
I still have a one storage container on the floor under the desk with various pcs of furs and feathers and the such...Lots of good desks on craigslist...I was just looking at them recently. Good Luck !
Old 01-25-2012, 02:39 PM

Some of this works well on cold nights too !
The fly on the cap doesnt work anywhere... ;>)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fly.jpg (86.6 KB, 85 views)
Old 01-25-2012, 02:42 PM

So Bushbuck, when you say "plastic storage containers" what exactly are you referring to? I use plastic fish storage boxes and one of those metal rack that you see in a commercial kitchen. I haven't found anything better for keeping out bugs.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:05 PM

I had those plastic stackable storage draws before. They did work well, but I was looking for a different feeling in this room. I am doing the walls in a stained beadboard, kind of like if I was in an old hunting camp. I have been looking for I guess apothecary or lingerie cabinets that have been adapted to hold what we use. I certainly dont mind plastic containers in the draws or in a cabinet, but was looking for an older look I guess.

Would love to find an original drawing of a fish on an old barn board that is dated back around the turn of the century like is hanging up in the lodge. Old warn in leather, dark oak mission style if you get my feeling. A great room to make a few flies, store my rod, reels, books and memories of great trips.
Just a comfortable room to spend time in. I love antiques and cabinets with cubby's and draws.

Love the knob Creek Bull, If I had a roll top I believe it is supposed to be stored on the bottom right draw.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:20 PM

Here is my setup:

I bought the desk and the table for the rod holder at Mill Store and modified them to my needs. I drilled a hole in the desk behind the vice area and there is a wooden box in the center drawer to catch all of the clippings.

Gerstner tool boxes will always spiff up a tying area.

My wife got me the apothecary cabinet but I don't remember where she got it. Pottery Barn maybe. I'll have to ask her and see if she can remember.

Don't forget the beer fridge. Got to have a good beer fridge.

These are old pictures and I have moved things around a little but you get the idea.
-Jim Harrison
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Between the four pads of a dog's foot; the fragrance of grass.

Braided Creek - Jim Harrison
Old 01-25-2012, 03:35 PM

Thats a great space! The apothecary cabinet is exactly the style I am talking about. I also really like the book holder, thats something I am going to have to make with those page holders like you have. Thanks I got quite a few ideas looking at your set up.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushbuck View Post
Thats a great space! The apothecary cabinet is exactly the style I am talking about. I also really like the book holder, thats something I am going to have to make with those page holders like you have. Thanks I got quite a few ideas looking at your set up.
It would be really easy to make. If you want some pictures for a pattern I'd be happy to get you some better ones. It is a cookbook holder from B&N.
-Jim Harrison
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Between the four pads of a dog's foot; the fragrance of grass.

Braided Creek - Jim Harrison
Old 01-25-2012, 03:45 PM

That would be great, I would love to see it without the book on it. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:39 PM

Rich--I really admire your set-up. I had forgotten.
I'm needing to relocate my man cave, because the wife wants the spare bedroom back as we remodel.
I may have to make an apothecary cabinet like that, if I fail to find one on the cheap.

Marc--sounds like you have a capital notion for an area there. I look forward to seeing it. I have a suggestion for your space.
A pull down similar to an attic staircase door that when lowered would present a collection of bins and dowels for spools.