October 18, 2018

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 12-01-2017, 08:14 PM

Saw this link on a Maine Forum. Probably too late for NH. I know theres pockets of wild fish here and there. That's why I enjoy the hike in ponds so much. About as close to wild fish as you're going to get in NH consistently anyway.

https://nativefishcoalition.org/blog.../5/blog-post-2
Old 12-03-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrookieSlayah View Post
I agree. I see room for improvement in some areas but NH simply doesn't have the potential for world class fisheries of many types, except for bass.
In the interest of not spot burning, I will not name rivers and lakes. But I think it is very fair to say that several spots in NH have wild eastern brook trout as large as any you will find in the entire US. As many spots as Maine? Nope, NH is a much smaller state with very different topography (and fewer bottom release dams).

Most of these fish rely on being able to move dozens of miles each year to spawn, overwinter, optimize food supply and survive hot/low water periods. Unlike certain fisheries in other states, if you want to catch a trophy brook trout in NH you need to spend years learning about your quarry and be willing to travel to where the fish are--not always fish in the same spot. I'd say the number of optimal days to catch a brook trout during the open season in NH are +/- 20. The rest of the time the conditions are too challenging or the fish are in places that make them very tough to catch in this state.

Thanks to everyone who came out Thursday. A lot of good points were made. The comment period is still open if anyone wants to send a polite note:
Send to: comments@wildlife.nh.gov (use the rule name in your subject line); write to Executive Director, N.H. Fish and Game Department, 11 Hazen Drive, Concord, NH 03301; or fax to (603) 271-5829
Old 12-04-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdude View Post
Probably too late for NH.
Definitely not! Like Vermonster said NH might not have as many wild fish as Maine, but what we have is worth protecting.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:50 AM

Ditto, I agree. My comments to NH F&G have been submitted.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:37 PM

I was at the Commissioner's Meeting. The rule is going through.

Sad day for wild trout.

Steve
Old 12-15-2017, 02:18 PM

Not happy news. Thanks for attending and letting us know.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:54 AM

Here are the 2018 regs including use of bait on the Magalloway.

http://www.eregulations.com/wp-conte.../18NHFW_LR.pdf

"June 1 through Labor Day. Single hook artificial lures/flies, only a single hook point shall be used with bait, all hooks shall be barbless or have barbs pinched, use or possession of live fish for bait shall be prohibited. Catch and release for trout. No limits on black bass."