December 11, 2018

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljgurke View Post
It's too bad really - a lot of the "old timers" (Otter, Flyfish99, Bull Moose) have passed on to the big fishing hole in the sky, others who used to be quite active (Briezy, jmcg, browntrout) have gone silent. From my side, I am without a personal computer and the ability to process pictures at the moment, which has put a kabash on reports of recent fishing activity. A search through the archives (some of Otter's posts for example) will turn up some real gems including historical photos etc. The FF Maine site is good, though I have tried to sign up multiple times and for some reason have been unable to join. Some of the other boards i.e. Northeast (NJ) Flyfishing that up until recently were quite active have also fallen silent, probably only a matter of time for the Maine site.
Hello, sir. Lots of changes over the last few years and we've ended up in Oklahoma. I thought I'd check in and say hello.
I tried FB for a while, but have since canceled my account and want nothing to do with any social media.
Much has changed in recent years. lack of basic civility, being one.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:55 AM

I've noticed a lot of guys still seem to check in, but don't post. Is it because in the "hay day" of online boards, people were using laptops or desktops to post up, where as now most people are checking on their phones and don't want to take the time to post via phone? If so, I understand. Posting on boards like this via phone is a PITA without a doubt.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown603 View Post
I've noticed a lot of guys still seem to check in, but don't post. Is it because in the "hay day" of online boards, people were using laptops or desktops to post up, where as now most people are checking on their phones and don't want to take the time to post via phone? If so, I understand. Posting on boards like this via phone is a PITA without a doubt.
I agree. That is surely part of it.
Folks don't read books much anymore either.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:34 AM

Default Oklahoma

Oklahoma - Holy Moly! Guess you are forced to fish for those greenish big-mouth critters. Have you managed to get up to Arkansas/Missouri? The White River system is probably the closest quality trout water to where you are.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:43 PM
Site Admin

Send a message via AIM to sbeausol

This site has been around for 13 years now, and there's no doubt it's started to slow down considerably. It's certainly a much more competitive environment for forums these days with social media, but I'm happy to take suggestions and would love volunteers interested in helping improve things. In the last 13 years I went from being in grad school and being to single to having 3 young kids and a pretty steady work schedule. I think there are opportunities for improvement, so I'm happy to hear suggestions if there are any out there. I think the site is worth improving...
Old 09-19-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeausol View Post
This site has been around for 13 years now, and there's no doubt it's started to slow down considerably. It's certainly a much more competitive environment for forums these days with social media, but I'm happy to take suggestions and would love volunteers interested in helping improve things. In the last 13 years I went from being in grad school and being to single to having 3 young kids and a pretty steady work schedule. I think there are opportunities for improvement, so I'm happy to hear suggestions if there are any out there. I think the site is worth improving...
I hope you didn't take this personally. It wasn't my intention. I can completely wrap my head around what you're saying from when it started and where it is vs. where you were then and where you are now. As someone who makes it on the water a few times in the spring due to baseball coaching, I get it, and meant no disrespect.

As for suggestion or improvements....... I think people either want to be on a site like this or they don't. I really don't think there's anything that can be done to increase posting or membership. Hell..... I'm a member at our local fish and game club. We do great things with sending kids to camp, buying fish for a fishing derby, run a deer pool and many other things. But because we don't have a shooting range nobody is interested in the work that goes into the club. I will say most people are more then willing to donate money or items for gatherings we do, but they really have no desire to donate time. So I've very understanding of the situation. Thanks for getting the site going, and keeping it running.

If there was an easier way to host pictures rather then a separate host, that would be cool, but I'm not sure how much of a pain in the butt that is for you. thanks again.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:57 AM
Site Admin

Send a message via AIM to sbeausol

No offense taken at all. Just looking for ideas (and volunteers lol) to make this place a little better.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljgurke View Post
Oklahoma - Holy Moly! Guess you are forced to fish for those greenish big-mouth critters. Have you managed to get up to Arkansas/Missouri? The White River system is probably the closest quality trout water to where you are.
Yes--there is also a great tailwater about two hours away in Oklahoma below Tenkiller Lake and another our or so south there is decent trout water.
Lots of small stream small mouth bass opportunities as well very close by.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:56 PM

Hello All,

I registered on this sight many months back. For some reason I have not been allowed to post responses until recently. I think this site still offers decent content. i suppose it's up to those remaining participants to make it worthwhile. There are several regulars that certainly bring much knowledge to the table. Perhaps this "old fashioned" website can be revived.

Keep fishing and contributing!
Old 09-24-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeausol View Post
but I'm happy to take suggestions...

Somewhere in Maine, Lee is taking a sip of coffee, reads your post, puts down the coffee cup, stands up, puts his hands on his hips and says to the empty room...

"I am needed."