October 23, 2018

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Gear Discussion

Old 07-25-2018, 02:10 PM

Default All around boat for the north country?

Hi all,
I am moving to Littleton area and am trying to decide what boat/boats to buy. I am moving from Colorado where we walk waded and used a self bailing raft with fishing frame, but there aren't very many ponds and lakes out there so we didn't need a motor.

I'd like to get something that would float a river fairly well and will also take the kids out on the lake (to fish, and maybe swim). Any thoughts?

I've been looking at maybe getting a raft as well as some sort of fishing boat with motor, but didn't know if anyone had experience using a drift boat with a motor. If so would you go that route? Does it do both well enough to make it worthwhile?

I also don't know how much river float fishing we will be doing, there doesn't seem to be much infrastructure for it (put ins, shuttles, etc.), versus how much we'll just be lake fishing. Does anyone float up there? Is there access and good fishing? Don't need to spot burn, just a yes or no.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer!

Mike
Old 07-25-2018, 04:48 PM

While I was reading, even before you suggested it, I was thinking a drift boat with a motor. My buddies have one and it works fine. The motor also helps at the bottom of drifts where you run Up against a dead water. So, that would serve both purposes. That said, we donít have lots of ramps and access here like out west, so a raft is a better river option.

If I were you, I would price out both, with my preference being a raft for rivers and a cheap aluminum row boat for lakes with oars or a small motor.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:10 AM

Thanks for the input TGIF! I think I may share your preference, rafts are just so much more versatile in terms of bad put ins, having to drag them in low water, etc.

It may be more economical to buy a raft and used lake boat than a drift boat with motor. I've been watching craigslist regularly and you can pick up solid (looking at least) used 14-16 ft aluminum boats with decent motors for a real good price. The only issue with that plan is trying to find used rafts up here. I took a look at the only raft in NH/VT/ME on craigslist last weekend and although it is priced well it isn't what I'm looking for.

Anyone have experience with the NRS Outlaw boats? They are fairly inexpensive new with a frame.

Thanks again!

Mike
Old 07-26-2018, 11:57 AM

Keep an eye out for rafts coming out of the rafting companies in Maine. But there are not nearly as many as you would find out west. For 16 foot aluminum boats, you should have no issue finding those.
Old 07-26-2018, 04:53 PM

Default Need 2 boats

The drift boat with a motor doesn’t really work for lakes. They track poorly, they are slow and the wind pushes them all over. A drift boat or raft and a proper lake boat of 16’ or more is the way to go. Something with 25 to 30 hp is the sweet spot for trolling efficiency and covering some water at around 25 mph. I like a tiller control for keeping the deck clean for fly fishing. If your not going to fish the big lakes a 14’ with a 10 hp is ok for 2 people and smaller water.
I fish flat water from the sea coast to the mountains with a 16.5’ Lund with a 30 hp Honda and a 12’ amc with a #40 Minkota electric. I hire my drift boats with a guide. I also think float tubing is a very good thing for small ponds.

Last edited by bridgeman; 07-26-2018 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:41 AM

Thanks Hextall, TGIF and Bridgeman!

TGIF, any idea where the rafting companies will list their rafts? Or is the best idea to just give them a call near the end of the season? I had that thought as well, but couldn't find anything online about them selling their boats.

Hextall, I will definitely shoot you a ping once we are settled! I have been oogling the Stealthcraft ATB boats for a while now, but just can't justify $15k for a boat. Would love to talk to someone to see if they really perform on both lakes and rivers as well as their propaganda says they do. Are you loving the Hooligan? It is another option if I don't go with the Outlaw, a little smaller which has its pluses and minuses.

Thanks again!!

Mike
Old 07-26-2018, 11:47 AM

I have a Stealthcraft Hooligan I bought this past winter. It has a motor mount that I'm planning on putting a small trolling motor on it. There are sections of the CT and Andro that I float where I had a headwind in some slow fishless sections (upwards of a mile long)... and it really sucked rowing it. So I'm scouring craigslist for trolling motors. know though that any type of motor, even trolling motors, means you have to register it in NH.

Places for launching a drift boat are relatively limited in NH (in my experience, maybe I'm wrong), which is why I got a small raft that is easy to haul down or up a river bank. I don't think I would use it on a lake, so the suggestion about possibly 2 boats seems a better idea. I'd rather use a canoe or kayak on a lake.

Here's a forum that has a lot of folks that use rafts, including some vendors. It's focused on Washington state, but it's a good place to find plans or raft options beyond used ones. I found some great info there when I was figuring out what I wanted to get.

https://www.washingtonflyfishing.com...php?forums/26/

When you get settled in, ping me and I can describe some launch/take outs on the most popular floating rivers.

Last edited by Hextall; 07-26-2018 at 11:49 AM.