October 23, 2018

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 07-25-2018, 06:15 PM

Default A Question re: NH lead law

Hello All...

I live in NW Pennsylvania and we will be taking a couple weeks vacation soon to come to New England to do the tourist thing, etc. I am an ardent fly angler both for trout and smallmouth and was hoping somebody could clarify current New Hampshire fishing law as relates to weighted flies, etc. For smallies, I use a lot of Clouser Minnows with painted lead dumbbell eyes and well as Holschlag Hackle flies which are weighted in the same way.

Are these flies legal for me to use in New Hampshire inland waters? I haven't really been able to find a clear answer anywhere online so far and would greatly appreciate any guidance you folks may have.

We'll be leaving here to head on up in a few days and our plans call for us to be in NH from approx. August 5th until the 10th. So, any response I could get to my question fairly soon would be great.

In the meantime, all the best and if you like smallies on the long rod, c'mon down. I can't put you onto the sort of trout fishing you have, but I couuld direct you to some fine river smallmouth fishing.

Thanks Again,

Bob
Edinboro, PA
Old 07-26-2018, 05:28 AM

The use of lead sinkers and jigs weighing 1 ounce or less, regardless of length, is prohibited in all fresh water. Sale of lead sinkers and jigs (1 ounce or less, regardless of length) is prohibited.

http://www.eregulations.com/newhamps...nt-laws-rules/

Pulling a clouser or jigging a jig seem to be about the same to me. And to be honest, I would hope the F&G would see it that way too. The idea and spirit of the law is to get rid of all lead that can be consumed buy fish, fowl and mammals so that it doesn't injure the animal or get passed down the food chain. There are other good options for lead substitutes.

Probably not what you wanted to hear. I would call the F&G in Concord to clarify.

Questions about New Hampshire Fishing Laws (603) 271-3127
Old 07-26-2018, 05:48 AM

That is crap! A freshwater clauser and a 1 oz jig are a million miles apart... with “lead” being the critical word. Call to be safe and set your mind at ease so you can enjoy yourself, but don’t sweat putting some weight on a buck tail streamer.
Old 07-26-2018, 05:52 AM

PS - eBay has cheap hula poppers that are great fun too. Fish them like a dry fly with an active presentation in all the places a trout would be. Pm me if you want some suggested places to go. Trout season is largely behind unless these T storms keep dumping cold water.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:51 PM

I want to thank the folks who responded to my inquiry. I called Concord just a bit ago and posed the question to them. The nice lady with NH Fish & Game told me that my Clousers and Holshlag Hackle Flies were legal and OK with their lead dumbbell eyes because "they are flies and the lead involved is not being added to the line as a separate sinker or source of weight". I have tin shot and tungsten putty for adding weight in that way if needed.

I fully understand and agree with the spirit of the NH lead law. When I was a kid (back in the 60's), we used to have to go to Algonquin Park in Ontario to see a Loon. Now, there are fair numbers of them on most all the little glacial pothole lakes in my part of PA. That's great to see. They are a fine and beautiful bird.

I'm not sure what I will primarily be fishing for when we get to NH. Largely depends on flows and weather, etc. Also depends upon what my better half has on her agenda as this is primarily a wander and gawk trip and not a fishing trip. But I'm under doctor's orders (my fishing addicted dentist) to take a couple rods with me "for my own sanity.." I hope though to try for river smallies and to a lesser extent for wild brookies. I don't much care if they aren't very big. I've spent a lifetime fishing PA mountain streams for 5-8" brook trout and enjoyed every minute of it.

We will be staying near Gorham, so there ought to be some decent small stream opportunities in the area. I'm always open to any suggestions though.

Anyhow, thanks again and have the best season ever.

Bob
Old 07-26-2018, 05:18 PM

Default Smallmouth you say!

If you like smallmouth the Androscoggin is an outstanding smallmouth river. There is lots of trout fishing on the tributaries in the Gorham area.
I have also fished PA for trout and think the trout fishing is far superior to what we have here. The trout fishing in South Central PA is the best in the east. It’s the only place I’ve caught wild trout over 20” regularly. It’s a water chemistry thing.
Flies are specifically excluded from the lead exclusion regulations.

Last edited by bridgeman; 07-26-2018 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGIF View Post
That is crap! A freshwater clauser and a 1 oz jig are a million miles apart... with “lead” being the critical word. Call to be safe and set your mind at ease so you can enjoy yourself, but don’t sweat putting some weight on a buck tail streamer.
Actually, the stripping motion of a leaded clouser produce the a very similar stop, sink and then upward or lateral journey. Nobody said anything about a one ounce jig you asshat. I believe the law reads one ounce or less. The idea here is to get rid of the lead and help someone out. Not take crap from some internet douche.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGIF View Post
you haven't seen a sick loon have ya, it is well documented what lead is doing to the loon population, nearly 100% of loon mortality is from lead poisoning