August 17, 2018

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 01-29-2018, 09:45 PM

Default Winter Fish

Hello all,
I'm new the forum, not so new to fly fishing. I recently graduated UNH, now I live in Rochester for work. I'm just looking for any suggestions for any local waters near me holding trout. From what I've seen and heard from others, most streams around here are only holding warmer, slower moving water fish such as pickerel, bass, and various suckers.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:49 AM

I would check out Three Rivers Stocking's web page. If you're in the area it might be a good idea to get involved with these folk and make some new friends. You can see their info to the left of where you clicked on this thread on this home page.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:11 PM

Mad River in Farmington has a few nice native brookies, and it gets stocked every spring by F&G as well. You won't see any bass or pickerel. A good section of the river runs thru NH F&G easements

F&G attempted an Atlantic Salmon project in the Mad as well about 25 years ago, but without fish ladders on the Cocheco in Dover and Rochester, it wasn't successful

Last edited by RandyO; 02-01-2018 at 08:16 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:08 PM

Welcome to the Forum. Hope you get all your questions answered, and your adventures and pictures posted. Lots of fun.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:47 PM

Cocheco, Isenglass, and the Lamprey all get a fall stocking courtesy of Three Rivers Stocking http://www.threeriversstocking.com/

Most of the waters in the area get super warm in the summer, but with a little exploration you might be surprised at the number of trout in the area.

If you're into small stream fishing, grab a map and follow the small blue lines. You might have to walk some but you'll find the fish.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:40 PM

http://docs.unh.edu/nhtopos/nhtopos.htm

This is a good connection for little blue lines. The streets may have changed but the topography hasn't.