July 22, 2018

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 06-12-2018, 10:29 PM

Default Headed to Conway

Grew up in the Northeast, but now live in Texas. Decided it's time to teach my daughter (7 years old) what fly fishing is all about. My dad is driving in to meet us in Conway and we're going to fish the Saco.

Haven't ever fished it - saw on Orvis it recommends First Bridge or the Covered Bridge as entry points; is it worth trying those areas or are they over fished? Looking for some place to walk in, wade around 1-2 miles up/down river and teach my daughter the art of dries, and the joys that is brookies/rainbows/brownies instead of YouTube & iPad games.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:37 AM

Stop in North Country Angler in North Conway and they will be able to give you some good tips on where to go and what to use. The Saco off of River Rd. (from the bridge downstream) has plenty of fish, including some big browns, but the river can get busy - best to hit it early before the "tuber hatch". Another good option would be the Ellis River - the FFO section is downstream of the covered bridge in Jackson - or go up above Glen Ellis Falls on Rt16 for wild brookies.

Welcome back to NH - Let us know how you did.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljgurke View Post
Stop in North Country Angler in North Conway and they will be able to give you some good tips on where to go and what to use. The Saco off of River Rd. (from the bridge downstream) has plenty of fish, including some big browns, but the river can get busy - best to hit it early before the "tuber hatch". Another good option would be the Ellis River - the FFO section is downstream of the covered bridge in Jackson - or go up above Glen Ellis Falls on Rt16 for wild brookies.

Welcome back to NH - Let us know how you did.
Thanks for the tips! Definitely plan to be off the water by 9:30, and back on around 5, hopefully those 2 windows avoid the rubber hatch.

Ellis looks interesting on the maps, a bit more rocky - how is it for wading? I had a preference for the sandy bottom on the Saco for my 7 year old, but wild brookies has my attention.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:17 AM

The Ellis is a bit more rocky - never found it too difficult to wade, though a bit tougher than the sandy Saco I guess. For wild brookies, go way up Rt16 above Glen Ellis falls (park at the falls access and work upstream) - it is a small stream up there and access is pretty easy i.e. wet wading and rock-hopping.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:49 PM

No luck on day 1. Fishes from First Bridge upstream for a while, then back downstream until the first turn at the golf course. Started to see people floating down, so we called it at that point. About 3 hours on the water, no bites.

Will try again Monday after the weekend tubers are gone. Plan to walk the trail (didnít see it today until after we waded through the nice deep stretch after the bridge hah) and try further downstream from the bridge. If no luck, will try to covered bridge in Conway.

Plan to hit Ellis on Tuesday. We went up there on Friday to check it out first. Nice area, but didnít see much sign of life (or even tracks from other fisherman). May not have been far enough upstream. We pulled over right after the trailhead/state park entrance.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:01 PM

Stopped into North Country Angler yesterday on the way up to the Rapid in Maine - they said donít bother with the Ellis it hasnít been stocked yet. We had a pleasant 5 hours on the Peabody on the way up - got some brookies and a few nice rainbows on stimulators and green-leg stonefly nymphs.

Just lost a 4-lb brookie at Middle Dam at dusk this evening, thing was as long as my arm
Old 06-17-2018, 09:24 AM

Not surprised you got skunked on the Saco given how low the water is right now. https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nh/nwis/uv?site_no=01064500
You should try a smaller, higher elevation stream like ljgurke did. No need to wait for the stocking truck, they all have plenty of wild fish as well. In the low water conditions we're having right now you need to focus on pocket water rather than the large pools.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:44 PM

Appreciate all the tips and advice. We hit a few different areas, and had a blast enjoying the river(s) & scenery. Only person to catch a single fish was my daughter and she loved it, so that's all that matters.

Now we just need to find a reasonably priced cabin to buy up here so we can come back more often.