November 12, 2018

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 09-30-2018, 04:42 PM

Default Trouts!? We don't need no stinkin' trouts...

The bass this summer were very, very good to me.

Old 09-30-2018, 07:21 PM

Good stuff right there! I strictly fished for bass for about a three year stretch. They, especially smallmouths, are a blast on the fly rod and are very underrated as a 'fly rod' species.

However, last year I got hit hard with the trout bug and have been out only a few times for bass since.

That smallie is a real bruiser!
Old 09-30-2018, 08:19 PM

Love me some sallies on a 5 wt. Congrats and well done. Thanks for taking the time to post up a report.
Old 10-01-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfish_tfo View Post
Good stuff right there! I strictly fished for bass for about a three year stretch. They, especially smallmouths, are a blast on the fly rod and are very underrated as a 'fly rod' species.

However, last year I got hit hard with the trout bug and have been out only a few times for bass since.

That smallie is a real bruiser!
The last three years I've gotten pretty serious about fly fishing for bass. Do to life situations I can't travel as far or as often as I like to fish for trout. Where I live the trout fishing can get pretty limited when it warms up, but there are bass everywhere and they readily come to the fly. I've been having a great time chasing the buckmouths and smallies around.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone Fishin' View Post
The last three years I've gotten pretty serious about fly fishing for bass. Do to life situations I can't travel as far or as often as I like to fish for trout. Where I live the trout fishing can get pretty limited when it warms up, but there are bass everywhere and they readily come to the fly. I've been having a great time chasing the buckmouths and smallies around.
Same for me.

If you're ever looking for some company let me know, I'm always down to chuck some big flies at bass.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfish_tfo View Post
Same for me.

If you're ever looking for some company let me know, I'm always down to chuck some big flies at bass.
Yeah, I'd be up for that. Maybe we can arrange a meet next summer.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:28 AM

Default Cross lock snap

Iím liking that cross lock snap. I use loop knots but I can see that working very well. I been using them this year for salmon and lake trout fishing. They work well and give additional action to lures.as well as the obvious lure changing capacity. This could be a new thing. The purists will object but let them work harder for less fish!
Bass fishing both fresh and salt water types is the future of NH fly fishing. The climate change denial is laughable.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgeman View Post
Iím liking that cross lock snap...
Yeah, they save me tying a bunch of knots. Aesthetically they leave a bit to be desired, but it makes changing flies a snap and it saves on tippet material.

I don't use them trout fishing even if I'm chucking articulated streamers, but I've never found bass to be very leader or hardware shy.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:38 PM

If you have bowfin in your neck of the woods they are a lot of fun on a fly rod.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone Fishin' View Post
Yeah, they save me tying a bunch of knots. Aesthetically they leave a bit to be desired, but it makes changing flies a snap and it saves on tippet material.

I don't use them trout fishing even if I'm chucking articulated streamers, but I've never found bass to be very leader or hardware shy.
◊2 on the snap locks. I use those on when I go after bass as well. Saves a lot of time and gives the flies some great movement!