November 12, 2018

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-30-2018, 04:42 PM
Gone Fishin''s Avatar
Gone Fishin' Gone Fishin' is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Monadnock region
Posts: 274
Default Trouts!? We don't need no stinkin' trouts...

The bass this summer were very, very good to me.





Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-30-2018, 07:21 PM
flyfish_tfo flyfish_tfo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Exeter, NH
Posts: 416
Default

Good stuff right there! I strictly fished for bass for about a three year stretch. They, especially smallmouths, are a blast on the fly rod and are very underrated as a 'fly rod' species.

However, last year I got hit hard with the trout bug and have been out only a few times for bass since.

That smallie is a real bruiser!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-30-2018, 08:19 PM
Uptown603 Uptown603 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 30
Default

Love me some sallies on a 5 wt. Congrats and well done. Thanks for taking the time to post up a report.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-01-2018, 02:07 PM
Gone Fishin''s Avatar
Gone Fishin' Gone Fishin' is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Monadnock region
Posts: 274
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfish_tfo View Post
Good stuff right there! I strictly fished for bass for about a three year stretch. They, especially smallmouths, are a blast on the fly rod and are very underrated as a 'fly rod' species.

However, last year I got hit hard with the trout bug and have been out only a few times for bass since.

That smallie is a real bruiser!
The last three years I've gotten pretty serious about fly fishing for bass. Do to life situations I can't travel as far or as often as I like to fish for trout. Where I live the trout fishing can get pretty limited when it warms up, but there are bass everywhere and they readily come to the fly. I've been having a great time chasing the buckmouths and smallies around.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-01-2018, 07:45 PM
flyfish_tfo flyfish_tfo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Exeter, NH
Posts: 416
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone Fishin' View Post
The last three years I've gotten pretty serious about fly fishing for bass. Do to life situations I can't travel as far or as often as I like to fish for trout. Where I live the trout fishing can get pretty limited when it warms up, but there are bass everywhere and they readily come to the fly. I've been having a great time chasing the buckmouths and smallies around.
Same for me.

If you're ever looking for some company let me know, I'm always down to chuck some big flies at bass.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-08-2018, 09:23 AM
Gone Fishin''s Avatar
Gone Fishin' Gone Fishin' is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Monadnock region
Posts: 274
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfish_tfo View Post
Same for me.

If you're ever looking for some company let me know, I'm always down to chuck some big flies at bass.
Yeah, I'd be up for that. Maybe we can arrange a meet next summer.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-12-2018, 04:28 AM
bridgeman bridgeman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 606
Default Cross lock snap

Iím liking that cross lock snap. I use loop knots but I can see that working very well. I been using them this year for salmon and lake trout fishing. They work well and give additional action to lures.as well as the obvious lure changing capacity. This could be a new thing. The purists will object but let them work harder for less fish!
Bass fishing both fresh and salt water types is the future of NH fly fishing. The climate change denial is laughable.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-17-2018, 02:54 PM
Gone Fishin''s Avatar
Gone Fishin' Gone Fishin' is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Monadnock region
Posts: 274
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgeman View Post
Iím liking that cross lock snap...
Yeah, they save me tying a bunch of knots. Aesthetically they leave a bit to be desired, but it makes changing flies a snap and it saves on tippet material.

I don't use them trout fishing even if I'm chucking articulated streamers, but I've never found bass to be very leader or hardware shy.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-17-2018, 04:38 PM
Cambrandt Cambrandt is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 9
Default

If you have bowfin in your neck of the woods they are a lot of fun on a fly rod.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-17-2018, 07:22 PM
flyfish_tfo flyfish_tfo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Exeter, NH
Posts: 416
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone Fishin' View Post
Yeah, they save me tying a bunch of knots. Aesthetically they leave a bit to be desired, but it makes changing flies a snap and it saves on tippet material.

I don't use them trout fishing even if I'm chucking articulated streamers, but I've never found bass to be very leader or hardware shy.
◊2 on the snap locks. I use those on when I go after bass as well. Saves a lot of time and gives the flies some great movement!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:05 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.