October 23, 2018

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Off Topic

Old 08-19-2008, 03:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to Solid

Banks,

Looks like the beast still roams the woods!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,406101,00.html

I LOVE THIS STUFF!
Old 08-19-2008, 09:46 PM

"I don't think we have an over abundance of them here in the east. However, out west where my sister lives, one of the things the F&G, (or whatever version of it) teaches you is NOT to run. Cougars perceive that as a food source trying to escape. Let the chase begin...."

I agree, I've found, otherwise docile and peaceful cougars, to turn violent the second an unsuspecting victim makes the decision to flee. Why is this????
Old 08-20-2008, 06:08 AM

Default Cougars

I think cougars eat fairly well. Whereas, our food is in Shaw's, all lined up, their's are always on "the run". Get it fresh when it is available. I think this is how it works.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:42 AM

Taylor has found this resource pretty useful...

http://www.dateacougar.info/
Old 08-20-2008, 10:49 AM

HHHMMM.

People claim to see them. There are no photos, no video, and to my knowledge nobody has killed, trapped, or hit one with their car. I find that very strange. They are also not as secretive as people believe. Out west, people see them quite often.

Might there be some individuals that have escaped from captivity? Sure, crazier things have happened. Might there be a few that have traveled a long distance (from Florida or the west)? Sure, it's possible. Do we have a breeding population in the northeast? I don't think so.

The most popular argument of those that believe that the northeast has mountain lions is that of the expanse undeveloped wilderness in northern NY, Vermont, and Maine. People claim that an animal could live in these areas and never be seen or documented. These areas do not even compare with the expanse of undeveloped land in the west. The northeast does have large tracts of land, but they are often invaded by man, through hiking, camping, canoeing, hunting, or logging. There are some areas out west that see little or no humans on foot. I am very skeptical that the northeast has a reproducing population of mountain lion, wolves, anacondas, or bigfoot. Yes, mountain lions and wolves were native to the northeast 100 years ago, but the habitat and landscape has changed drastically since. That habitat has not only effected the niche that they occupy, but the niches of their prey and the entire ecosystem. If you have ever flown over the northeast on a clear day, you can easily see how man has changed the landscape.

I was lucky to see one in Georgia back in 1995. I was going to school at Georgia Southern University, located in the southern portion of the state. There were reports of people reporting a mountain lion in the town of Portal, 10 miles north of Statesboro. I knew a family that lived in Portal and the lion was trapped on their farm. Upon capture, they called me and I actually got to see the fish & game department load the animal, inside the trap, onto a truck. He was not happy about going back to Florida! The animal was part of the "florida panther" re-introduction program in the everglades. The Florida panther and mountain lion are subspecies, not the exact same animal, but extremely closely related. This animal had traveled quite a ways north, and found himself in south Georgia farm country. He had a tag in his ear and also had a radio transmitter collar on. Knowing his general whereabouts due to the collar, made the trapping effort a little easier.

Sorry for the rant, but my wildlife background gives me the urge to voice my opinion. In college I did a lot of research on the proposed re-introduction of wolves to the Adirondack Park. It's similar in nature in that we have a species that used to be native, but no longer exists. If you were to sucessfully re-introduce and establish a population, what ill effects may occur?

Last I heard, the florida panther population was down to about 30 individuals?
Old 08-20-2008, 11:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to Solid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugChucka View Post
"I don't think we have an over abundance of them here in the east. However, out west where my sister lives, one of the things the F&G, (or whatever version of it) teaches you is NOT to run. Cougars perceive that as a food source trying to escape. Let the chase begin...."

I agree, I've found, otherwise docile and peaceful cougars, to turn violent the second an unsuspecting victim makes the decision to flee. Why is this????
This is no joke folks, Bug really knows his s**t when it comes to Cougars. Just last weekend I was able to snap this photo just as one of those devils tried to snatch Bug's hard earned Bonito.

Last edited by Solid; 08-20-2008 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Banks10 has a very dirty mind.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:15 PM

There are 2 in Gray Maine, but I don't think they count.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:55 PM

Default Cougars

Fly, 'course those cougars don't count in Gray ,Maine. Cougars don't go to school to learn to count anyways.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid View Post
just as one of those devils tried to snatch Bug's hard earned Bone.
uhhhhh no comment.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:38 PM

That cougar looks mean....that's an angry cougar