September 25, 2018

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 03-27-2018, 04:32 PM

Default 2018 plans

Anyone fishing yet? Got any plans for 2018? I want to hit more hike in ponds. I'm up to 19 now and want to check off half a dozen or so new ones as well as hit some I've already done. I'm also on a mission to hit the small brooks and streams in the southern part of the state to see if I can run into some wild fish. I feel like I'm typing up a new years resolution I'll be ignoring in a couple of months though.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:56 PM

Hiking into remote ponds is on my list. There's quite a few brooks in southern NH that hold wild fish. I think you'll be surprised.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:56 AM

In Mass fishing gets tough in Feb and March. The Swift remains ice free but the fish are sparse - otters help deplete them. The state already is beginning to stock the ponds. I hope to visit one in the next few days.

This winter I built up a 12' spey rod. Bought a scagit line and am going to learn this technique.

Planning my trip to Pittsburg in June, and maybe Canada later in the summer (my wish list).
Old 03-28-2018, 09:21 AM

Bobo - I fished the Deerfield on a float last Saturday - Picked up 3 fish only but they were all hogs.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:09 PM

I wanna fish for stripers, other than that, bass & pike fishing is on the agenda,

got trout right in my back yard, some wild, but some jumped out of a Powder Mill truck
Old 03-29-2018, 08:24 PM

talking about Deerfield, I am planning a 1-2 day trip later in April, any suggestions will be appreciated. I will be wading, not floating and this would be the first time there. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to spill the secrets in public. thanks!

Old 04-01-2018, 08:15 PM

Bought a Mass license this year and have been down there a couple times this year. Have hooked 2 fish but lost both. Been on different sections of the Ashuelot and South Branch starting in Jan but haven't had a bite.
Coworker is a fly fisher too and we've been out together a bunch. Nice to find someone to fish with.
Will be in Pa in June, Tn and that area in the fall. Will have rods for these trips.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:46 PM

Default Deerfield

Hi Sebastian,
About the Deerfield. watch H2O waterline Fife Brook Dam reports for flows. The releases vary widely and you don't want to get caught mid stream with the water rising. It goes up fast. And although there is a warning siren, you'll want to be clued into the release times.
This is one linkhttp://www.h2oline.com/default.aspx?pg=si&op=255123.
Another is Neffguide.com http://www.speydoctor.com/cfsmass.html where you can find the downstream delay in rising water.
In higher water fish get pushed to the edges. Good luck. Deerfield Fly Shop in S.Deerfield can give you some good intel on the river.
Tightlines.

Last edited by bobo; 04-01-2018 at 08:53 PM.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:30 PM

thanks for the info bobo,
I have been reading about the water releases, it will be interesting to experience it live. I fished the Housatonic in the past, which has a similar pattern if I am not mistaken. For Deerfield do you think that fishing is better during low water or high water?

Old 04-04-2018, 03:57 PM

Default Deerfield

I would have to defer to fishers with more on river experience. I would expect that low water will have them a bit more spread out, and high water will concentrate them on the edges and bottoms of pools. But you probably already have that figured.