September 18, 2018

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Off Topic

Old 08-13-2018, 05:33 AM

Default Alright folks - who's ready for deer season???

I'm looking forward to it myself. I have trail cam pics/video of no fewer than 14 different bucks among the five spots I'm planning on hunting this fall - 7 of those have at least 8 points. One of them is a 14 pointer. And of course, there's plenty of does and it looks like a good fawn crop. Of course, who knows where they'll all disappear to come September 15th.

Who else is a deer hunter? What seasons do you hunt? How are things shaping up where you are?

Hello . . . is there anyone there . . . ? ? ?
Old 08-13-2018, 10:30 AM

I hunt muzzleloader and rifle. Don't have the desire to take up bow hunting as I would rather bird hunt and fish in early fall. Haven't really started scouting yet. Been out a few times poking around with the dog but haven't really seen anything noteworthy. I usually start putting cameras up after Labor Day but as you mentioned, where they are in September is usually totally different from where they end up in November.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:19 PM

Iím in! Start with an out of state bear hunt in two weeks, then bear in NH, followed by deer here and then in Missouri the last week of November. All bowhunting, with hitting rivers with the fly rod the entire time! Need to figure out how Iíll have enough time to work!

David
Old 08-14-2018, 05:05 AM

I can't wait for hunting season and I don't even hunt!

It seems that a lot of people who fish either hunt or just don't fish in the fall. Fall is a great time to fish general law ponds for trout. 9 times out if 10 during hunting season I'll have a pond to myself. Both New Hampshire and Maine stock some very nice trout in the fall
Old 09-11-2018, 06:05 AM

This will be year number two I have not bow hunted, and I have no regrets about it. I'll be spending the archery opener on boundary pond, looking for some nice brookies.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:27 AM

Let us know how Boundary fishes. I'm planning on heading there in October for a cast n blast. Anyone finding any acorns in the woods? I have seen zero.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdude View Post
Let us know how Boundary fishes. I'm planning on heading there in October for a cast n blast. Anyone finding any acorns in the woods? I have seen zero.
No sir on the acorns. I live in Central NH, and scouted mostly high areas. Kearsarge mountain, Ragged mountain and Tucker Mountain. Can't find any oaks dropping, well unless they are in someones yard, then it's loaded.