October 22, 2014

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 04-08-2009, 11:47 AM

Default Jamaica Pond Salmon

Check out this article...

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/reg...icleid=1164212
Old 04-08-2009, 01:03 PM

They put some nice fish in there!! Here's another article with lots of pics from the Globe.
http://www.boston.com/news/local/gal...maicapond?pg=7
Zach
Old 04-14-2009, 11:46 AM

Wow! I thought I was doing OK with my 20" & 22" Salmon last year. Now I feel inadequate.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:21 PM

No offense to Mass, but isn't that a waste? How will they live through the summer?
Old 04-14-2009, 07:43 PM

Default MA broodstock policy

They are not intended to live through the summer. They are intended to be caught and killed ASAP, and they are not intended to have access to any river that would allow them to reach the ocean. That is the official MA policy in a nutshell.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:57 PM

I read the articles and also saw a little film clip of the lovely state senator releasing her salmon (to her credit, at least she wasn't stuffing bribe money in her bra). I'm too disgusted with the state of this state to comment on it's fish stocking policies. Too bad they couldn't throw the turnpike authority into Jamica Pond.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:13 PM

Let's also keep in mind this is a fish which has lived it's entire life in a (freshwater) hatchery. It's survival has little or nothing to do with returning to the ocean as it has already lived its life entirely in freshwater.
Broodstock salmon can and do hold over in any pond with deep enough water to enable trout to hold over. Take a look at the depth chart of jamaica pond and you will see it is plenty deep enough for this. In fact, due to its urban setting, and byzantine regulations regarding wading and boating access, fishing pressure is fairly light and a lot of fish hold over year to year. Many people have chosen jamaica pond as spot to try to catch a "pin" trout or salmon.
On the plus side, as I see it, Massachusetts does not charge you an additional fee to catch fish paid for with federal money.
Personally, I don't see the NH broodstock program as much better. Additional fees aside, the sections of the Merrimack where they are stocked bear little resemblance to the type of water where you would catch atlantic salmon in the wild. Most of the fish that attempt to move downriver end up dying in the canals of Lowell. Any fish exeptional enough to make it to sea and return to spawn will find their passage blocked by the dam in Lawrence.
I've got as many gripes with the state of Massachusetts as anyone, heck I'm a libertarian, but we're talking about fish stocking here. Lets keep things on topic.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:19 PM

It's a bad thing that many towns now are having to cut back on their library hours, some risking their certification.... er, wait a minute

you're right about the off topic.. it was a bad day and needed to vent.