September 17, 2019

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Gear Discussion

Old 06-24-2008, 07:14 PM

Default kayak paddle question

I bought a kayak this year and am having a lot of fun with it. It is a sit on top kayak. I am finding that when I paddle that the water runs down the paddle and is getting my legs very wet.The paddle does have rubber washers on the ends but they are not stopping the water run down.I have tried to hold the paddle differently,different strokes etc. but in order to get a good stroke I have to lift one end up and the water runs in on me.

The only thing I can think of is that I have the wrong length of paddle. Would a longer paddle fix this or is this just the nature of the kayak use? Any ideas?
Old 06-24-2008, 07:32 PM

It's a water sport brother...Somethings are just inherent in the design. If you get a cure for it I'd like to hear it because there are days that it Ps me off as well.

From what I've come to understand, and just recently at that, most of us use to long of a paddle and we would paddle more efficiently with a shorter one. Apperhently the only time you should use a longer paddle is to clear the sides of an exceptional wide kayak.

We should be thnking about a FFNH Float sometime this summer, I'd like to know if some of the guys I've seen out this year are frequent flyers.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:39 AM

CJSNH,

Like s2ary said, you're gonna get wet. One thought though is to try to change the position of the drip rings. If they're getting wet on the stroke, they're useless. Try moving them just outside the width of your grip.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:28 AM

I've paddled a canoe for a few years and same thing happens here too. It's only a bit annoying when the water temp is cold. I've never put the rain pants on which would help. Usually have the longjohns on when it's cold and that seems to help somewhat. It's something I only really notice if I'm not catching fish...
Old 06-26-2008, 01:00 PM

Thanks fpr the input. At least I know now it is not me or something I was doing wrong. I will try moving the grommets -- good suggestion. And rain pants will be in order when I do not want to get wet.

It still is a fun way to fish and having a lot of fun with it.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:23 AM

This forum has information about all sports and sportsman at this we have discuss about them also. I got this link https://www.rushmyessays.org/ from this blog after reading this I have come to know that they made assignments for students and make their life easy.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:38 AM

Default Yak fishing sucks

I have two float tubes, two kayaks, a canoe with fixed oars a 12 skiff and and a 17 hard core Lund fishing boat. The yak is my least favorite fishing platform. Your always dealing with the darn paddle. I think the foot driven types would be a great improvement. I do enjoy recreational paddling with the yak but not for fly fishing.