September 17, 2019

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Gear Discussion

Old 12-26-2018, 12:21 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave O
Default The Mother of all Kayak or small boat carriers!

Last year, I had the pleasure of going to a small remote pond in Maine with several Maine guides. They had a few kayak carts between them. Some were better than others. We hauled several kayaks about a quarter mile down a woods road and then across a field with large rocks and loose gravel. Afterwards, I went right out and bought a Suspenz DLX with 10" wheels for about $100. It works pretty well, but I tried using it to haul a heavy cooler down the steep path to my camp. It did not work well at all. It was too small and unstable. I had been looking for a better kayak hauler and was hoping that I could use it to haul a cooler to my camp. The camp path has a pea stone surface and coolers with wheels were not usable on it. I needed something with big wheels. A better kayak hauler was a plus too.

So here is what I found. It is a War Surplus battlefield litter carrier, and is made for one or two people to haul wounded on litters across uneven ground. It has 21" tires and has two different wheel locations for one or two men to operate. There is a fold out support on each end and it is retractable with your feet. They are spring loaded. There is only one stand deployed in the above picture. The whole frame folds up and the wheels are removable and can be stored inside the folded structure. With both supports extended, the unit is so stable, you can lay a piece of plywood on it for a picnic table. Everything is top notch quality with TIG welds and stainless axles etc. It is very impressive and there is an easy way to add wooden supports to hold up what ever boat you wish to haul. It will pull a 12 ft john boat easily. You could rig it to haul a pair of kayaks too! Tires are rated for 420 lbs total weight.
I bought it from Coleman's Surplus in Millersburg, PA. The price for a brand new litter carrier in the original box was $125. The only problem is that shipping is really expensive. I solved that by picking it up in PA while on a trip. This thing is the neatest!

https://colemans.com/shop/militaria/...arrier-unused/

I can't wait for Spring to try it out.

Last edited by Dave O; 12-26-2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:38 PM

Hmmm... that thing is COOL. I have a 10 ft fiberglass dinghy that is heavy as hell. This seems like it would work, but I am curious how I would load it and still be able to get to the handles.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:36 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave O

Well, I would tie down the boat with one or two ratchet straps and then you could hang onto the bow of the boat and pull it. That is what I would do with the kayaks, just like most all the other wheeled kayak haulers. The two supports you can see are about 42" apart when fully opened. The width is about 21 or 22". Those large wheels will roll over rocks really well. I have been pushing it around my yard. The ground clearance is fantastic. I wish I had a kayak here to try.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:55 PM

Nice find!
Mike