June 3, 2020

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Saltwater Section

Old 03-04-2009, 07:56 PM

Default NOAA Final Ruling

As I read this If you are a HMS permit holder (Highly Migratory Species , Tuna etc.) You would be exempt from state licensing as the HMS meets the intent of the permit (providing info to conduct accurate fish counts). It is issued per boat so you need a registered boat. I know of people who have registered kyaks to get the permit to legally target tuna so it is a option. Cheaper that a NH,ME,MA,RI permit!
Here is the text of the final rulling by NOAA, I am completely behind this. The state licence is where I have a problem.
http://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/mrip/aboutus/organization/downloads/Saltwater_Angler_Registry_Final_Rule.pdf
Old 03-04-2009, 09:06 PM

Default Question

"If NH does nothing we will be subject to the Federal license that is good in any state no questions asked."

lowwal, Does that mean I would not be required to get a non resident salt water license in Florida @ $47.50 as I did last year?
Old 03-05-2009, 07:54 AM

Default Still Need a FL Licenece

Florida’s licence does not meet NOAA requirements. This is because it does not count all anglers (Residents 16 and Under and 65 and Older do not need a licence).

As a non resident you would need to Buy the FL saltwater licence as you do now and a Federal license .

However it shakes out in NH there will be a licence that meets NOAA requirements, whatever that license is should cover you as you are already are being accounted for in NH. ( The intention of the licence)

Last edited by lowwall; 03-05-2009 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:17 PM

Smile Saltwater License

NH saltwater license may or may not meet NOAA requirements. It still has to get out of the Ways and Means Committee in the House. Then over to the Senate for another Committee Public Hearing and then a floor vote by the Senate. A lot can happen between now and then.
gold Label
Old 03-10-2009, 11:32 AM

Default Wow!

That would be something, paying for a State Licence and then a Fed One on top of that. Hopefully it does not go down that way.
Thanks For The Info
Old 03-10-2009, 11:46 PM

Worst possible scenario....you'd need separate licenses for ME, NH, MA, plus federal.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfish99 View Post
Worst possible scenario....you'd need separate licenses for ME, NH, MA, plus federal.
I already have the traditional "fresh" water license for Mass. I am planning on getting the traditional "fresh" water out of state license for NH. I want to salt water fish in Mass, NH but also in Maine and Rhode Island.

Will "one" salt water license cover these 4 states?

Will I have to get a "fresh" water license for Maine and Rhode Island in order to have a "salt" water license for those states?

Years ago in Maine, if you were going to fish for Atlantic salmon, you had to purchase a regular license and then the salmon license. You know these states will be double dipping in the future if they are not already planning to do so now.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:36 PM

In Maine, there is a movement to create a free registry that will satisfy the law without having to pay the extra tax for a license:

link

"Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you." -Burt Gummer

Last edited by Butch Moore; 03-11-2009 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Moore View Post
In Maine, there is a movement to create a free registry that will satisfy the law without having to pay the extra tax for a license:

link
Sounds like a good effort...... these days, that probably dooms it for failure.

here's a link for the mail in letter for supporting this
http://www.neoutdoorvoice.com/legisl...saltwater.html
Old 03-11-2009, 09:11 PM

Default NH House approves saltwater fishing license

Goes to the senate, Good news is it offers reciprocity with Maine and Massachusetts ( If they offer it to NH). Have heard Maine has already said they won't go this route. I expect to see allot less casual fishing folks fishing because of this. A $10 fee to the FEDS would have been better IMO. This will hurt the party boats and baitshops catering to the tourist trade for sure.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/legislation/2009/HB0481.html