June 3, 2020

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Saltwater Section

Old 03-27-2014, 07:06 PM

Default Stripers

I'm curious of how many of you are going to be striper fishing this spring/summer. I would love nothing more than finding some people in the Seacoast that striper fish. As of this year I'll be going at it alone because my buddy decided to move west. Would love to meet some more saltwater fly fisherman and learn a few things. I know a few good spots that are fishable from land
Old 03-27-2014, 08:35 PM

I'm sure I'll be out just about every weekend unless I'm on call at work, Then I have to stay close to home
Old 03-28-2014, 09:51 AM

Ill probably be waving the long rod around in the ocean the majority of my time this summer.... I got bit by the bug last summer, you can ask ConnorR

Last edited by twinfish93; 03-28-2014 at 09:52 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-28-2014, 09:59 AM

I will no doubt be out for stripers, I would say they are my main species i target....had a great season last year..I would like to meet Zak and Connor and there was another fellow on here who striper fished a lot...maybe John? Either way, looking forward to it. Going to the NE Saltwater fishing show in RI tomorrow. Looks like there are a lot of good products/seminars.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:08 AM

I'm planning on getting over to the salt here and there this spring/summer. Its not my favorite fishing but it definitely has its appeal and does get me obsessed with it for a few weeks every summer.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Jaun Worm View Post
I will no doubt be out for stripers, I would say they are my main species i target....had a great season last year..I would like to meet Zak and Connor and there was another fellow on here who striper fished a lot...maybe John? Either way, looking forward to it. Going to the NE Saltwater fishing show in RI tomorrow. Looks like there are a lot of good products/seminars.
SJW: I'm heading to the show in RI tomorrow as well, maybe I'll see you there.

I'm definitely looking to get over to the seacoast a lot more this year as well. It's been a few years since I've gone Striper fishing so I'm looking forward to getting back at it. OTF: I'll PM you and perhaps we can make arrangements to meet up at some point.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:20 AM

Right on fishinnh.....I'll be wearing an Eldredge Bro. Fly Shop hat with a striper on it...if you happen to recognize it in the sea of people give a shout. We got a hotel and are going to paint the town after the show...
Old 03-28-2014, 12:11 PM

I'll be doing a lot of striper fishing this summer. If I'm not up in Maine for brookies and landlocks, I'll be down here fishing for stripers.
It is a plain fact, however, that downstream fishing with a non-imitative fly (lure, in the British sense) does not mix comfortably with upstream imitative fishing...I'll stay out of the argument about whether this technique is really fly fishing. In terms of interest, it is for me ahead of most downstream fishing and spinning. And I've already opined that spinning is better than staying at home with the television set.

Datus Proper, "What The Trout Said"
Old 03-28-2014, 01:44 PM

Would love to but after taking my 10' yak into the ocean once for stripers, I realized it is no match for the salt water. However, I was with a training class so all was safe in the small tranquil harbor we fished/trolled off Odione Point. If someone has an extra craft I could use, I would love to give it another try. I do have some equipment including a 9 wt. fly rod, a surf casting rod, and heavy action spin rod with 30 lb. braid. I also have a MA salt license.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:54 PM

Im going to stick to panfish this year. Stripers are too much of a pain in the ---...
"When a fish is caught on bait, I feel bad for it being so gullible, unable to resist - often gut-hooked. When a fish is caught on a lure, I sometimes feel it's been abused especially if there are barbed galvanized treble hooks or umbrella rigs involved. But when I catch a big, smart striper (or a native steelhead, or a double-digit bonefish, or a remote lagoon tarpon, or....) on a self-tied fly, I feel that neither of us have any shame when we look eye to eye." -Juro