June 3, 2020

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Saltwater Section

Old 06-18-2014, 07:06 PM

It really is an addiction huh? I enjoy your reports. I keep telling myself I should get a salt set-up, but maybe I shouldn't..
Old 06-18-2014, 07:41 PM

Yes you should
Old 06-18-2014, 08:54 PM

Rich, don't drop any money, just give me a call and we'll hit it. Do you still have my #?
"When a fish is caught on bait, I feel bad for it being so gullible, unable to resist - often gut-hooked. When a fish is caught on a lure, I sometimes feel it's been abused especially if there are barbed galvanized treble hooks or umbrella rigs involved. But when I catch a big, smart striper (or a native steelhead, or a double-digit bonefish, or a remote lagoon tarpon, or....) on a self-tied fly, I feel that neither of us have any shame when we look eye to eye." -Juro
Old 06-19-2014, 06:09 PM

Yes I do.. thanks. I will get in touch at some point..
Old 06-19-2014, 11:17 PM

Well the day started off with a casual much needed sleep in. I rolled out of bed at 8:30 and started the day with a cup of coffee and a little fly tying. With eyes half open and my hand still half asleep from sleeping on it all night, only one fly was tied. You win some and you lose some I guess. Anyway low tide was at around 11:00 and I was walking into the flat at 10:45. As the water started to come in, I started blind casting into shallow channel. My line proceeded to get tangled into some rare form of a birds nest that was almost indistinguishable from the real thing. I finally got the knot undone and looked up just in time to see a bass cruising not 15 feet from me, but just fast enough to where it was too late to fire off a cast. Damn. It was the first bass sighted of the season for me so it was quite the welcome sight nonetheless. After snagging countless clams, muscles and clumps of rope, the flat had filled in almost to my waist, and I started to make my way back to where I had sighted that bass earlier. That water was a little shallower there and gave me a little more time. After a few casts, I finally felt that familiar feeling of a wide mouth sucking in a fly with full force, and the head shakes that follow shortly thereafter. The first bass of the year was hooked. She put up a decent fight and eventually came to the hand. I landed one more smaller one then called it quits as I was up to my chest at this point and had a long walk back. Apparently I looked a little cold, and a fellow fisherman that was drifting the flat came over and gave me a lift back to the beach. We swapped stories on the ride back, and it was a great way to end a successful day.

DSCN1025.jpg

DSCN1029.jpg

DSCN1016.jpg
Old 06-25-2014, 05:54 PM

Connor,
missed you at the cape. we did do real well. Had a blast with the new rod. mike does know his stuff. I saw that you finished yours, have you been using it? what do you think? I know @ the cape we had 4 days of solid fishing and didn't destroy my shoulder
Always look forward to your posts
Old 07-04-2014, 01:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to Solid

7-4-14

Tough day on the water this morning, with only 2 fish landed, but it's all about quality over quantity. Congrats to Fly Fishing in New Hampshire's own ConnorR, who managed to crack the legendary 40" mark from shore this AM! Follow that up with a fish that was pushing the high 30s! Never again will I wake this guy up to go fishing!

Hooked up!

Look at the head on this monster!

Tough to capture the size of this fish - It was huge.

Second fish:

Old 07-04-2014, 07:50 PM

Here's the writeup. First, gotta apologize for not updating this more frequently. This sounds silly, but I really just fish too much to update it. I work 6 days a week, so it's early mornings and evenings and usually just 3-4 hour trips... tough to get as emotionally involved as trips in the past two years.

7-4-14

Last night, we not only had a severe thunderstorm warning, but also a tornado warning. That’s pretty rare for Maine. I really do like fishing around weird weather, it’s either feast or famine but the prospect of excellent fishing always lingers. It’s easy enough to figure out a spot during consistent weather, but this extreme weather just doesn’t happen often enough to find any real pattern. So we roll the dice, and go where the fish have been.

I went through the motions like I have for the past few seasons. Among our group of friends around here, we have had the goal of a 40”+ from shore. Most have done it from boats or kayaks, but from shore is just a different ball game. We’ve all had run ins with fish that approach it, but never a 40. Lots of fish stories about broken hooks, tippets, and straightened 4/0’s, but never a 40 to hand. I threw a 60ft cast to clear the line in my basket and untied a knot. I started the slow retrieve – bump, bump, bump. The line came tight, very slowly, as if a rock or lobster pot. I halfheartedly raised my rod tip and made a small strip-strike, just in case. Then everything went off the wall.

I hooked this fish in less than three feet of water. Unable to sound, she made a body-heaving, tail slapping explosion; never fully breaching, but giving me a hint as to her actual size. The first guess in my head was mid thirty inches. A long, uninterrupted run followed. She cleared my basket, then my fly line from the reel, then about 60 feet of backing. I looked at Eric with a “this is a nice fish” look. He harassed me for not putting the meat to her, but my arm was on fire. I’ve broken off enough flies to know where 20lb breaks. I had retied my leader just two casts before I hooked this fish. I was confident, and I was putting it to her. The hook was 3/0, as I had lost a fish last week on a small size 1, and I just prayed it found a good mark.

I got a bit of line back, and she made another small run. She turned towards me, so I countered and reeled frantically. My reel was flexing and rubbing against the strain. She was out in front of Eric, who gave me the second “this is a great fish” look of the morning. She made another small run, but she wasn’t more than 40ft out. A few head shakes and body thrusts, and the first attempt by Eric to lip her. She wasn’t having it, but the second time would prove successful.

I don’t carry a tape, not for some holier-than-thou reason or anything like that, but just because I forget constantly. It’s lucky I show up with a rod and a reel. Thankfully, Eric had his tape, and also his camera. I held and he measured as she stretched to the 40” mark. This was it. This was finally it.

After a few quick photos, she was swimming again. We shook hands but didn’t waste much time. It’s gotta be a good sign that the first fish of the day was 40”.

It was.

Less than 10 minutes later, I hooked another fish. This one felt solid again, but I knew it couldn’t be another 40. She rocketed into even shallower water than the last fish and gave a few impressive runs. I thought I could land her myself, but that was very clearly not going to happen. Eric again went for the grab, lipped her, and passed her off to me. No, she wasn’t 40, but perhaps 36-38 . Holy ****. This morning is one for the books.

For the next two hours, we went completely fishless. In an area filled with schoolies and small keepers last week, it was a striper wasteland. Sand eels were moving in clouds the size of cars and the bottom was littered with a buffet of various striper bait. But those were the only fish we would catch today. When the rain started and near hypothermia set in from wet wading in cold Maine water, we made the trek back to the car. That was incredible.

Connor
"When a fish is caught on bait, I feel bad for it being so gullible, unable to resist - often gut-hooked. When a fish is caught on a lure, I sometimes feel it's been abused especially if there are barbed galvanized treble hooks or umbrella rigs involved. But when I catch a big, smart striper (or a native steelhead, or a double-digit bonefish, or a remote lagoon tarpon, or....) on a self-tied fly, I feel that neither of us have any shame when we look eye to eye." -Juro
Old 07-04-2014, 09:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to Solid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorR View Post
I had retied my leader just two casts before I hooked this fish.
Yeah, with my 20lb Seaguar fluorocarbon tippet! I'm pretty sure this guy has used up half my spool already this season - bum!

I didn't post this picture originally, because the tape isn't really straight along the body of the fish, but trust me, this fish measured out (if you look closely, Connor's index finger is pretty much at 28". And, check out the TAIL!!!).

My original post came off as just your average, ordinary fishing report, but this was really special. Catching a fish of this size, from shore, the way we were fishing, is not an easy task. I know some really good fly fisherman that still haven't accomplished this, after years of ball-buster trips. So, kudos to Connor for getting it done, despite being a little, ahem... under the weather this morning (Happy belated B-Day dude!).
Old 07-04-2014, 10:04 PM

Congratulations! 40" from shore is an amazing feat!