July 18, 2019

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 06-08-2019, 12:14 PM

Default Pond/Lake Fly Fishing

OK - I'll admit it... Very rarely have I fished (fly fished, that is) for trout in ponds or lakes - with a sub-surface method using a sinking line. Yes - many times on the surface with a floating line targeting rises and sipping fish - but nothing sub-surface, and by this, we'll say deeper than 8-10 feet. Here's why;

Conceptually, I'm having a hard time understanding how the heck you "don't" spook the hell out of everything with all of that sinking line...

In rivers, and in many occasions, we do everything in our power to ensure that we don't "line" the fish, or to keep the fly furthest away from the tip of our fly line (and in some cases, use a smaller diameter tippet because the trout "can sometime see it")...and yet in pond/lake fishing (if using a sinking line to get the fly down), it seems as though everything goes by the wayside.
I guess you could use a long leader to try to avoid some of the visibility - but still - when you're trying to get the fly down, and when using a full sink line, or even a sink tip you've got this "black/brown" long snake "in" the water - and how this doesn't put every fish on guard or make them skittish is beyond me.
Now, I'm a big fan of swinging wet flies, streamers, and bucktails in rivers, and on many circumstances depending on the water, I'm using a sink tip - but I'm also using a long leader, and ensuring that I don't swing the sink tip into a zone where I believe the fish are holding - ensuring that I'm not even close to where I believe they're holding - and I do rather well.

I'd love to hear from those who do well in ponds/lakes, and to perhaps provide some insight on all of this. Yea, I'd love to have the actual trout tell me all about this, but they're kinda' tight-lipped on this stuff
Old 06-08-2019, 02:08 PM

I almost exclusively fish stillwaters - with the exception of during the summer when I fish the mountain streams.

It's of my opinion that trout in stillwater are more skittish then their river dwelling counter parts. In stillwater they have more time to look at the fly and decided whether or not that particular pattern matches what they're eating. However, as far sinking lines go most intermediate lines are clear or "camo" and I use a 9' flourocarbon leader with a foot or so of tippet the next size down. Your faster sinking lines can be anywhere from brown, olive or black. When fishing a 'fast' sinking line I usually use a leader of straight flourocarbon tippet material about 6' long, there's less light penetration in that deeper water there for the line doesn't necessarily spook fish like you think it would.

The other way you can get down deep is using a slip or quick set indicator in which you can 'peg' your desired depth, keeping in mind you'll really be about 3' shallower then your true 'pegged' depth since your line won't sink straight down but more at an arch. This is a common way of fishing nymphs like choronomids or balanced leech style flies. I've read of guys, mostly out west, using this way of fishing effectively down to 40' - but thats a different discussion in it's self.

Still water is a challenge, and it's not very common out here. That's what draws it to me.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:12 PM

I've fished for trout in ponds in VT, NH and Quebec with a fly rod and have had good luck - wet and dry. And never, on a day when I didn't have good luck, did I attribute it to the fact I was using a sinking/sing-tip line.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:49 AM

I think a lot of the talk about spooking fish with line is overblown. Yes, it's bad to put your fly line on top of a fish because it will spook them a very large portion of the time, but that's right over their head.

Humans have a tendency to overthink things and want to blame something in the minutiae of tackle setup for not catching a fish, when I think a large portion of the time it's lack of fish or conditions where they just aren't eating. Just take reasonable precautions in regards to presentation and leader setup and don't put the line directly over them.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_NH View Post
I think a lot of the talk about spooking fish with line is overblown.
I've caught countless trout and salmon over the years trolling multi-colored leadcore lines and 8 lb downrigger balls on cables. If those aren't prone to spooking fish, I'm certainly not going to worry about a sink tip or even full sink fly line. I've caught countless fish on those setups too.
It is a plain fact, however, that downstream fishing with a non-imitative fly (lure, in the British sense) does not mix comfortably with upstream imitative fishing...I'll stay out of the argument about whether this technique is really fly fishing. In terms of interest, it is for me ahead of most downstream fishing and spinning. And I've already opined that spinning is better than staying at home with the television set.

Datus Proper, "What The Trout Said"
Old 06-11-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_NH View Post
I think a lot of the talk about spooking fish with line is overblown. Yes, it's bad to put your fly line on top of a fish because it will spook them a very large portion of the time, but that's right over their head.

Humans have a tendency to overthink things and want to blame something in the minutiae of tackle setup for not catching a fish, when I think a large portion of the time it's lack of fish or conditions where they just aren't eating. Just take reasonable precautions in regards to presentation and leader setup and don't put the line directly over them.
Couldn't agree more. I would imagine that fish would be used to things drifting over them like sticks, grass and other debris. Like you said, I think it's more the commotion of the line landing right on top of them that spooks them.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:22 PM

Good conversations and suggestions. Iím going to give a full sink a chance and see how I make out. Iíll also shoot for a long fluoro leader for more stealth.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeast Brookie View Post
Good conversations and suggestions. Iím going to give a full sink a chance and see how I make out. Iíll also shoot for a long fluoro leader for more stealth.
If you're going to go with a long leader just remember that your fly, depending on size and weight, may not sink at the same rate as your line so you may need to allow more sinking time to get that fly into the strike zone.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:49 AM

TFO - Hope all is well!
Yes, been doing some reading on this (the underwater proverbial U shape) and appreciate the additional confirmation.
Still canít get over the fly line under water thingy 😜 but as Steve H alluded to, the downrigger ball is like a freight train moving through - and if fish ainít shook up from that, well, they wonít get ďshook up!Ē
Cheers~