September 16, 2019

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 08-06-2019, 03:24 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave O
Default New dam construction in Ossipee, NH

I was driving along the Lovell River in Center Ossipee on Pine Hill Road, I came across a real engineering feat about 2.5 miles in from RT 16. See attachment JPG files. I stopped and talked to a man who was piling rocks making the dam even bigger. His family was all there for the day, I guess and they wanted a bigger swimming hole. I told him that a dam was illegal and he said "It was like that when I got here" and kept improving it. I told him how bad these rock dams were for fish migration in warm weather as well as how much it disturbs the fish's food supply. My words fell on deaf ears. The next morning I came back with my grandson, and we proceeded to destroy the dam as best we could. I went a bit farther upstream and found another dam that blocked the entire river again about a mile farther up.
I am not sure what to do, but called Fish and Game (Critters & Fish) They referred me to NH DES and I filed a verbal complaint. I have no idea who made these dams though. What is the best way to get results in these cases?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ossipee_Dam2.jpg (79.3 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Ossipee_Dam1.jpg (76.9 KB, 52 views)
Old 08-06-2019, 07:49 PM

good luck. We have "beaver deceivers" installed in our town. I have pictures of the pipe directly influencing, and filling in half the original flow of the Brook. I hope you have more success than I do.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:03 AM

Default Tear them down

I tear these impromptu dams down all the time.

Nobody's said anything to me, yet, after years of my doing it.

― Ernest Hemingway
Old 08-07-2019, 12:11 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave O

Some of these things are huge. The one I tore down had boulders that weighed over 50 lbs, so my 74 year old frame can't take much of that. I think the length of this one dam was about 40 ft long and almost 2 ft high. Possibly signs at strategic spots might deter these people. I am sure that they are ignorant of the law and the effects of their damage.
I always knock a 4 ft wide hole in them when I see them while fly fishing so the fish can move, but then it is easy for people to fix it when they come to swim. It would be better to remove it all.