June 19, 2019

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Gear Discussion

Old 02-07-2019, 06:26 AM

Default Fishing Kayak

Fishing kayaks are my favorite kind of boats. I have Viking Espri Angler. I have never tried it on fresh water - only in the ocean. About the sea I can say that it is very, very, very stable and the waves are not a hindrance to it (of course within reasonable limits). And I’d like to debunk the most popular instability myth of kayaks.
The myth of the instability of kayaks, most likely, came from the suspicion of people that modern kayaks are somewhat similar to racing kayaks, and some people know how difficult it is to keep balance in a sports kayak. But unlike sports kayaks, the best fishing kayak has a radically different hull shape. It is almost 2 times wider than its sports counterpart and has a flat bottom, which allows even to fish while you are standing up. For the past decade, all the efforts of manufacturers from all over the world and all research in this industry have been aimed at increasing the stability of a kayak on the water and making it safer and more accessible to a simple man in the street, who is very far from sports. To turn the modern fishing kayak upside down, you have to make a lot of effort. With such an attempt, you would rather fall out overboard than turn the kayak upside down.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:22 AM

Default Fishing Kayak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTraveler View Post
Fishing kayaks are my favorite kind of boats. I have Viking Espri Angler. I have never tried it on fresh water - only in the ocean. About the sea I can say that it is very, very, very stable and the waves are not a hindrance to it (of course within reasonable limits). And I’d like to debunk the most popular instability myth of kayaks.
The myth of the instability of kayaks, most likely, came from the suspicion of people that modern kayaks are somewhat similar to racing kayaks, and some people know how difficult it is to keep balance in a sports kayak. But unlike sports kayaks, the best fishing kayak has a radically different hull shape. It is almost 2 times wider than its sports counterpart and has a flat bottom, which allows even to fish while you are standing up. For the past decade, all the efforts of manufacturers from all over the world and all research in this industry have been aimed at increasing the stability of a kayak on the water and making it safer and more accessible to a simple man in the street, who is very far from sports. To turn the modern fishing kayak upside down, you have to make a lot of effort. With such an attempt, you would rather fall out overboard than turn the kayak upside down.
What brand of fishing kayak can you recommend?
Old 04-02-2019, 01:40 PM

Default Hobie

I love my Hobie Revolution fishing kayak. I fish lakes, ponds, rivers, and the ocean.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:45 PM

Default Kayak 😒

I absolutely hate yak fishing. The problem is not stability it’s the darn paddle. I have never tried the foot paddle drives out there but the conventional kayak paddle a real pain. You can move or you can fish but not both. I can see the appeal for the ocean but for fresh water it’s my last choice of the watercraft of the 8 I have at my disposal. Then there’s the lack ability to move. In order to be stabilized you basically need to stay still in the same spot over the center of gravity. A canoe is more forgiving in this regard. My canoe has fixed oars locked into oarlocks. I find this more fishing friendly that the conventional kayak or canoe paddle. For comfort on small waters a float tube is my way to go. A 19’ Grady White and a 24’ Mako are my saltwater fishing boats of choice. We are not at the top of the food chain in a kayak 3” from the water. I don’t want to wish for a “bigger boat” be the cause a great white or a nasty thunder storm. The first one is very unlikely and the second is almost a certainty.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:52 AM

I purchased a Hobie Pro Angler 14 last season. My intention was to chase the Albies with it in my favorite spot. Problem is that I don't know how to access my favorite spot from land So, I have fished with it in fresh water lake. It is stable, but not as stable as I was told. I purchased it because I like standing up when I cast. Yup, you can stand up and cast, but you'd better cast carefully. Also, bear in mind that this is my 3rd season without a boat. I have had a boat my entire life and the kayak was a replacement. Looks like I will be looking for a boat this fall...

Tags
fishing, kayak