April 3, 2020

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 10-21-2013, 03:18 PM

A coworker just sent me this link to a upcoming documentary about dam removals:

http://www.damnationfilm.com/
Old 10-22-2013, 07:44 AM

It is false that property values drop when a pond in a river is changed to just river.

Do not fall for that FEAR factor. It is straight out false.

Steve
Old 10-23-2013, 12:59 PM

Default Lamprey River

Steve, you should have seen the river when the water level was dropped. No one would buy property on a mud flat.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:21 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Gerry
Default No dam = healthy river

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnep View Post
Steve, you should have seen the river when the water level was dropped. No one would buy property on a mud flat.
It won't be a mudflat for long. The current of the new habitat will scour a channel through the mud, exposing the underlying gravel and boulders. Then bushes and trees will start to populate the mudflats. In a couple years you will have a beautiful, healthy river. Check out the location of former dams in Manchester: Maxwell pond dam Merrimack: Merrimack Village Dam Henniker: Contoocook River at Western Ave bridges
Each of these dam locations had people who wanted to maintain the status quo. In each case, the removal of the dam resulted in an improvement in the look of the river. And no more stagnant mill pond as a breeding ground for mosquitoes.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
How is the fishery on the Winnicut River after the dam was removed?
I fished the Winnicut Heavily this spring and into the summer. I mostly fished the pool below 33 and also a short walk above the ladder. It fished quite well for the trout that F&G stock there, although they stocked it a little later than I would have expected. Once the water became too warm I did see some die off of the stockers but that is to be expected. In May I also witnessed herring running freely above the site of the former dam, this to me makes the project a success.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:57 PM

Quote:
If we decide to look into the future and restore what we once had i wonder how the property values would be if this was a productive sea run brook trout river? A mud flat will soon be a beautiful riparian zone (that is if it is not chopped down and turned into someones front lawn). The more dams we get rid of, the more gravel and less mud, the more river edge vegetation, the more river stewardship by local TU Chapters and other organization, the less poor fisheries management, the more regulation and less poaching, and most of all more knowledge of the history of our once pristine rivers, could lead a lot of our southern New Hampshire rivers into the quality trout rivers and anadromous fisheries they once were. Does not the way it was made give light to the way it should be. Restore, protect, regulate, and enjoy.

To be honest i think one of the most important reasons this dam SHOULD be taken out (other then sea run fish passage) is thermal pollution. Honestly if you got rid of all of the dams on our southern nh rivers, and you lined the shores with native vegetation... we would have higher DO levels then you think.

Last edited by flyfreak288; 10-25-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:06 AM

Hi John!

If you don't mind and if you are available I will let you know when I am in the area. I would like to see your property and perhaps share some info with you to alay your fears.

Steve
Old 01-11-2014, 07:58 AM

Here is just an example of what will occur when a big in-town old mill dam gets removed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAbOS40x-8Y

Fix the habitat and Mother Nature will take care of the rest!

Steve

Last edited by truiteman; 01-11-2014 at 07:59 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-12-2014, 08:02 AM

Went to a presentation last night by Beth Lambert of the Dept of Ecological Restoration. You should see the beautiful greenways that are popping up in Taunton, MA after just one season of dam removal.

With it being Town Meeting season, any update on this dam?

Steve
Old 03-14-2014, 01:49 PM

You need to see the video on this page.

http://www.canoekayak.com/environmen...-removed-2013/

Tags
fishing, fly fishing, new hampshire, three rivers